Home / Sports (page 2)

Sports

Former Penang coach Yoke Ham dies, daughter describes him as ‘cheerful person’

Former Penang football coach Moey Yoke Ham, who passed away this morning, has been described by his daughter as “a cheerful man who did not show any signs of illness”.

Moey Mi Lin, 45, said her father died as a result of bleeding in the brain after falling at his residence in Batu Lanchang near here, yesterday.

“My mother phoned me to tell me that my dad, who had fallen down at home and was unconscious, had been taken to the Penang Hospital for further checks.

“However, the hospital authorities told us that there was nothing they could do. We got the opinions of doctors from other hospitals and their answer was the same.

“Since I live in Petaling Jaya (Selangor), I will call him daily, but he never showed any signs of being ill. In fact, he would joke with me as usual,” she said when contacted by Bernama today

She also described him as a loving and caring person, who always gave his full support to his two children to make their own decisions regarding their life choices.

She said that his remains would be cremated at the Batu Gantung Crematorium on Sunday (Dec 20).

Moey leaves his wife Lee Siew Koon, 70 and two children, Mi Lin and son Moey Khai Boon, 43.

Meanwhile, the Penang Football Club, through their official PFC Facebook page, said the 74-year-old former coach would always be fondly remembered for guiding the state to winning the 1998 Premier League I (now Super League) title.

He was the Penang head coach from 1996-2000 and he also guided them to runner-up finishes in Premier I in 1999 and 2000.

Source: BERNAMA News Agency

National para athletes, PwD receive contribution from Jakel

— Non-governmental organisation OKU Sentral has collaborated with the Jakel Group and the Paralympic Council of Malaysia (PCM) to help national para-athletes and persons with disabilities (PwD) who have been affected by the COVID-19 pandemic.

 

Under the initiative, the Jakel Group would be contributing 700 packs of basic necessities to the target group.

 

OKU Sentral president Senator Ras Adiba Radzi, who represents the PwD community in the Dewan Negara, said she was saddened by the plight of some national athletes who were struggling to support their families due to the pandemic.

 

 

 

“Some of the national athletes are the backbone of their families to earn a living. So along with the allowance provided by the National Sports Council, we would like to support them a little more that they can help their other family members,” she said at a press conference after the programme here today.

 

Ras Adiba said for a start, OKU Sentral and PCM distributed 250 packs of basic necessities to the national athletes, while the rest would be distributed in stages to the disabled around the Klang Valley through the relevant government agencies.

 

Meanwhile, Jakel Group chief strategy officer Mohd Fuad Ahmad said this was the textile manufacturing company’s first collaboration with MPM and OKU Sentral, and was part of the company’s corporate social responsibility programmes to help the less fortunate.

 

 

PCM president Datuk Seri Megat D. Shahriman Megat Zaharudin as well as other leaders of the council were also present.

 

At the event, PCM also launched the PCM Mobile Van to deliver basic necessities to the homes of national paralympic athletes.

 

 

Source: BERNAMA News Agency

 

 

National sports bodies welcome plan to extend pension scheme

Youth and Sports Minister Datuk Seri Reezal Merican Naina Merican’s proposal to extend the pension scheme to all athletes who qualify for the Olympics and not just for those who win medals at the quadrennial event has received mixed response from three sports bodies.

 

Paralympic Council of Malaysia (PCM) president Datuk Seri Megat D Shahriman feels that it should not just be extended to national athletes who qualified for the Olympics, but also to national para-athletes who have contributed medals at international Games.

 

“I’m not trying to brag or differentiate, but who has delivered the most medals and help to glorify the country? So, whether they are able-bodied athletes or para-athletes, I hope the government will not practice favouritism and I urge the government to consider this.

 

 

 

“We must look at the developed nations, there are no discrimination and no double standards,” he said.

 

Reezal Merican, when winding up the debate on the Supply Bill 2021 at the committee stage for the ministry at the Dewan Rakyat today, said the ministry would consider the suggestion for national athletes who qualify for the Olympics to be eligible for the pension scheme.

 

Meanwhile, Olympic Council of Malaysia (OCM) president Tan Sri Norza Zakaria has described Reezal Merican’s proposal as a timely boost for national athletes chasing for a spot in the Olympic Games.

 

 

“The time has come for us to recognise and repay all those who sacrificed years of their life to qualify for the Olympic Games,” he said.

 

Sportswriters Association of Malaysia (SAM) president Datuk Jasni Shafie echoed his sentiments, saying the proposal would motivate the athletes in their quest to qualify for the 2020 Tokyo Olympics, which has been postponed to next year due to the COVID-19 pandemic.

 

“There are athletes from several events who do not stand any chance of winning a medal due to the different nature of the competition and abilities.

 

“But the announcement by the Youth and Sports Minister will surely ignite the athletes’ determination to try and do their best, at least to get past the preliminary round,” he said.

 

 

 

Source: BERNAMA News Agency

 

PM Muhyiddin extends condolences to ex-national footballer’s family

— Prime Minister Tan Sri Muhyiddin Yassin and his family today expressed their condolences to the family of the late Datuk Mohamad Bakar, the national football legend who died at the age of 75 today.

Muhyiddin, who shared his sadness over the loss in a posting on Facebook, hoped Mohamad’s family will be strong in facing this difficult period.

“On behalf of the government, I would like to say thank you for Allahyarham’s services and contributions throughout his footballing career, especially in helping the national squad qualify for the 1972 Munich Olympics,” he said.

The prime minister said the government will not forget Mohamad’s services to the nation, who went on to become assistant coach of the 1980 Moscow Olympics squad and national head coach five years later.

“His services and sacrifices will forever be cherished by the nation and the people,” Muhyiddin said.

The prime minister also prayed that the late Mohamad’s soul will be blessed and placed among the righteous.

Source: BERNAMA News Agency

KAFA hands in documents to set up Kelantan FC

 

KOTA BHARU The Kelantan Football Association (KAFA) has submitted all the documents required by the Football Association of Malaysia (FAM) for the purpose of establishing Kelantan Football Club (Kelantan FC) in line with the privatisation of the team in 2021.

KAFA legal adviser Alawi Mohd Rashid said the approval of the establishment of Kelantan FC would be announced by FAM in September.

“KAFA has established a company, Team Red Warriors Sdn Bhd which will be given the rights and responsibilities to coordinate and manage the Kelantan FC team.

“Team Red Warriors Sdn Bhd, which manages Kelantan FC, will be fully responsible for finding players and coaches, including the payment of salaries,” he said in a media statement here today.

Alawi said besides that, all team management costs, matches and so on must be borne by Team Red Warriors Sdn Bhd.

“The privatisation will separate KAFA from Kelantan FC and both will have their respective entities. After this, KAFA will no longer have any rights and responsibilities over Kelantan FC,” he said.

He said Kelantan FC would not be tied to KAFA’s previous backlog of debts.

“After this, KAFA will only be involved in football development activities such as organising local league competitions, age group competitions and more,” he said.

He said the issue that arose in the last two weeks regarding the sale of the football team was in fact the sale and acquisition of Team Red Warriors Sdn Bhd and not KAFA.

“Any party who wants to buy and take over the Kelantan football team must buy shares in the company and obtain the rights to manage Kelantan FC in the 2021 season competition,” he said.

 

Source: BERNAMA News Agency

 

Outdoor sports, co-curricular activities allowed in schools from Sept 1 – Ismail Sabri

KUALA LUMPUR The government will allow sports and co-curricular activities to be held outside of classrooms beginning Sept 1, said Senior Minister (Security Cluster) Datuk Seri Ismail Sabri Yaakob.

He said the decision was made at the special Cabinet meeting on the implementation of the Movement Control Order (MCO) today, after attending an Education Ministry (MOE) presentation on the guidelines of the activities.

“The guidelines comprise the implementation of face-to-face and practical sports and co-curricular activities outside of the classrooms for subjects such as Physical and Health Education as well as Sports Science in a controlled environment,” he said in a press conference on the Recovery Movement Control Order (RMCO) development in Parliament here, today.

Among the guidelines which must be adhered to include obtaining written approval from parents or guardians; limiting shower and changing rooms usage according to capacity; ensuring physical distance of one to three metres for static activities and three to five metres for dynamic activities; as well as cleaning and disinfecting equipment.

Ismail Sabri said sports and co-curricular activities must also comply with the guidelines and standard operating procedures (SOP) stipulated by the National Security Council (MKN), Health Ministry (MOH), Youth and Sports Ministry (KBS) and MOE.

Meanwhile, Ismail Sabri said the special meeting also reviewed and approved the guidelines for the Teaching and Learning of Technical and Vocational Education practical activities which would also begin on Sept 1.

He said the guidelines are applicable to more than 89 vocational colleges and selected Sekolah Menengah Kebangsaan and Sekolah Menengah Teknik.

“Among the guidelines that must be adhered to are deciding the number of students based on the capacity of space and areas used for the activities, cleaning and disinfecting practical equipment and not allowing symptomatic students to join practical activities,” he said.

The full guidelines will be available on the MKN and MOE websites from Sept 1.

Source: BERNAMA News Agency

Another stage of scrutiny for women’s squad coach

KUALA LUMPUR,  The four shortlisted candidates for the women’s national hockey team coach position will go through another round of interviews before the Malaysian Hockey Confederation (MHC) makes its selection.

According to MHC president, Datuk Seri Subahan Kamal, this final round of evaluation will have National Sports Council (MSN) director-general, Datuk Ahmad Shapawi Ismail and National Sports Institute (ISN) chief executive officer, Ahmad Faedzal Md Ramli, in the panel.

“The two local and two foreign candidates will be interviewed as soon as possible (via video conferencing) to finalise the coach before the third week of this month so that the person can start his job by September.

“We are also in the process of appointing a new technical director for the 2026 Asian Games project to enable him to join the selection panel,” Subahan said in a press conference at Kinrara Resort after announcing a partnership extension with QNET today.

It is learnt that candidates from the Netherlands and England are among the four who have been shortlisted for the coaching position after Muhammad Dharma Raj Abdullah decided to take a break from coaching and not apply for a contract renewal.

In reaction to the five Indian national team players who made headlines last week after testing positive for COVID-19, Subahan said the pandemic is under control in Malaysia with all the necessary standard operating procedures (SOP) in place to minimise the risk to the public and players.

Subahan also informed that the Perak Hockey Association president, Mohd Sayuti Abdul Samat, the Kedah Hockey Association president, Mohd Asmirul Anuar, a representative from Tenaga Nasional Bhd and another person will be appointed to serve on the MHC executive board.

On the sponsorship extension, Subahan said QNET – which has been an MHC partner since 2015 — will be pumping in RM1.5 million from 2021 to 2023.

“This is a very timely boost. In the time of pandemic, not many will be able to get sponsorship. We have a lot of expenses like organising leagues, development and overseas tournaments. We will put the money to good use,” he said.

Last month, MHC secured a kit sponsorship deal with Puma worth RM1.5 million.

QI Group managing director, Kuna Senathirajah, said its subsidiary —  QNET — is happy to continue supporting MHC and the Selangor Hockey Association, while adding that there are no plans to form a hockey team at the moment.

QNET has also teamed up with English Premier League side Manchester City and Malaysian Super League side Petaling Jaya City Football Club (PJ City FC) which is owned by the QI Group.

 

Source: BERNAMA News Agency