Home / General

General

EMCO in Kg Orang Asli Batu, Batang Padang, Perak starts tomorrow – Ismail Sabri

— Enhanced Movement Control Order (EMCO) will be implemented in Kg Orang Asli Batu 6, Jalan Pahang, Batang Padang, Perak from tomorrow until Feb 3, said Senior Minister (Security Cluster) Datuk Seri Ismail Sabri Yaakob.

He said the enforcement of EMCO followed screenings on symptomatic residents and close contacts from Jan 14 to 18 which resulted in 12 positive cases and 87 close contacts being quarantined now.

“The implementation of EMCO is aimed at controlling the movements of villagers as well as to facilitate the Ministry of Health to carry out targeted COVID-19 screening at the locality involving 494 residents,” he said in a statement today.

Meanwhile, he said as at yesterday, the Human Resource Ministry announced 178,370 foreign workers had undergone COVID-19 screening involving 6,677 employers with 3,520 workers confirmed COVID-19 positive.

This followed the government’s directive that all foreign workers especially in six states namely Selangor, Negeri Sembilan, Penang, Sabah and Federal Territories (Kuala Lumpur and Labuan) to take COVID-19 screening tests borne by their employers.

In other developments, Ismail Sabri said 752 individuals were arrested for defying the standard operating procedure (SOP) with 718 of them issued compounds and 34 more remanded.

The offences included not wearing face masks (277), failure to provide facility to record customer details (137), not observing physical distancing (128), illegal interstate/inter-district travel (73), premises operating beyond permitted hours (39) and others (98).

In Op Benteng, Ismail Sabri who is also Defence Minister said 57 illegal immigrants were nabbed and 10 vehicles were confiscated.

Yesterday, 558 individuals returned home via international checkpoints and from the total, 517 individuals were quarantined at 28 quarantine stations nationwide.

Meanwhile, Construction Industry Development Board (CIDB) personnel inspected 37 construction sites throughout the country yesterday and found from the total, 32 sites were in operation with 29 adhering to SOP and three violating the SOP.

Source: BERNAMA News Agency

Malaysia to work with Indonesia on discovery of body at Pulau Rupat

Malaysia will work with Indonesia for confirmation on the discovery of a body at Pulau Rupat, Indonesia which is believed to be that of one of two fishermen feared drowned on Jan 13.

Melaka police chief, Datuk Abdul Majid Mohd Ali said it was too early to make any confirmation or speculation as the information available and investigation were still at the early stage.

He said Malaysian police needed at least a week to get confirmation on the matter as it involved several processes and the investigation was to be conducted by the Indonesian police since the body was found there.

‘’The police have obtained preliminary information on the discovery but we have to screen it again and will cooperate with the Indonesian police and this requires further and more detailed investigation.

‘’We will only make an application to bring home the body as soon as the investigation by the Indonesian police is completed,’’ he told reporters after a food and drink kits contribution programme to roadblock frontliners at the Air Keroh Toll Plaza, here, today.

The food and drink kits, contributed by Melaka UMNO, were handed over by its Liaison Committee chairman and Melaka Barisan Nasional (BN) chairman, Datuk Seri Ab Rauf Yusoh for 928 police officers and personnel involved in manning roadblocks and COVID-19 standard operation procedure (SOP) compliance monitoring.

Based on the initial information obtained, Abdul Majid said the body was believed to be that of one of the fishermen who went missing in Pulau Undan recently and a Malaysian driver’s licence was found on the fully-dressed body which had been decomposing for three to four days.

He said a search and rescue (SAR) operation began on Sunday to find the two fishermen but was stopped yesterday based on the stipulated SOP of the SAR.

Today, a viralled 14-second video showed a body in red shirt and black pants believed to be that of a local fisherman who was feared drowned, in the waters of Indonesia. A driving licence belonging to Ahmad Norizan Mohamad, 37, was also found on the body.

Bernama had reported that two fishermen, Ahmad Norizan Mohamad, 37, and Irwan Radjab, 47, were feared drowned while out fishing in the Straits of Melaka, near Pulau Undan, on Jan 13.

Source: BERNAMA News Agency

Floods: Fewer evacuees in Sabah, Pahang

— The number of flood evacuees in Sabah has dropped slightly while several relief centres (PPS) in Pahang have been closed this evening.

In SABAH, the number of victims has reduced by five to 890 people from 257 families compared to 895 people from 258 families in the morning.

The State Disaster Management Committee Secretariat, in a statement, said two PPS had been closed, namely the Taman Sri Keramat PPR multipurpose hall in Putatan and the Penampang Sports Complex Club House.

Kota Belud still holds the highest number of flood evacuees, with 347 people from 109 families, while another PPS was opened at Sekolah Kebangsaan Punggor to take the total number of PPS in the district to five.

Meanwhile, there are 159 flood victims from 55 families are being housed at the PPS in Beaufort, Tuaran (119 people from 25 families); Kota Kinabalu (101 people from 18 families); Tenom (75 people from 18 families); Paitan (48 people from 14 families); and Papar (41 people from 18 families).

According to the statement, flood victims are still being evacuated to the nearest PPS as the water level had risen in several districts, while it is still raining in Kota Belud and Beaufort.

In total, eight districts in Sabah have been hit by floods.

In SARAWAK, 325 people are still housed at the only PPS in the state, namely at Sekolah Kebangsaan Tanah Puteh in Serian.

State Disaster Management Committee secretariat head Major (PA) Ismail Mahedin said the PPS could not be closed due to the stagnant floodwater.

In PAHANG, the flood situation in Maran has recovered after two PPS in the district, namely the Kampung Baru Pertanian community hall and Kampung Paya Pasir surau, were closed this afternoon.

With this development, only two districts — Pekan and Kuantan — are still affected by floods this evening, with 509 people remaining at four PPS.

Kuantan recorded the highest number of flood evacuees, with 380 people from 90 families, while Pekan has 129 victims from 39 families.

Source: BERNAMA News Agency

37 landslide incidents in Mambong following incessant rain

The incessant rain last week resulted in 37 landslide incidents reported in the Mambong state constituency, near here, said its assemblyman, Datuk Dr Jerip Susil.

According to him, three roads connecting Kampung Sadir, Kampung Kiding and Kampung Sepit were affected with the shoulder of the main road to Kuching city collapsing in incessant heavy rain all day.

“Four houses were also damaged in Kampung Garung, Karu, Sadir and Parang respectively due to landslides,” he told reporters after observing the gotong-royong work of repairing the house of Nona Budis, 63, in Kampung Garung at KM 40, Jalan Puncak Borneo, today.

He said Nona’s house was the most badly damaged after it was heavily covered with soil during a landslide last Thursday night.

Dr Jerip, who is also state Transport Assistant Minister, urged the Public Works Department (JKR) to take immediate remedial measures for the damaged roads and landslides.

“The repair works to the damaged roads will take some time, so I ask that the road users be patient as JKR will take some time to assess the damage and repair costs,” he said.

On the repair works to the house of Nona who lost her husband to cancer last year, Dr Jerip said the cost was estimated to be almost RM40,000, which would be paid with contributions from villagers and the public through his service centre.

In the incident last Thursday night, Nona and her daughter managed to escape with four grandchildren when a hill slope suddenly collapsed with the mass of soil hitting the walls of her living room. The second such incident occurred in August last year.

Meanwhile, Bernama found that repair works to the landslide along the main road between Kampung Suba Bandar and Kampung Grogo, Bau being carried out.

Source: BERNAMA News Agency

Azalina rejects call for special Parliamentary session on Emergency

— Dewan Rakyat Deputy Speaker Datuk Seri Azalina Othman Said has rejected a proposal by UMNO secretary-general Datuk Seri Ahmad Maslan that a special Parliamentary sitting be convened with regard to the proclamation of Emergency.

In the letter dated yesterday, Pontian MP Ahmad sought the cooperation of UMNO and Barisan Nasional MPs to submit an agreement for the implementation of Article 150 (3) of the Federal Constitution to hold a Parliamentary session as soon as possible regarding the emergency proclamation and asked them to reply before 12.30 pm today.

Azalina, whose reply to Ahmad has gone viral on social media, said that as the Deputy Speaker, she was among the individuals who most prioritised and held firm to the principles of Parliamentary democracy, but there were legitimate legal issues that needed to be considered in depth, before she could give her consent.

“More so because the issue touches on the power and discretion of the Yang di-Pertuan Agong under the Federal Constitution,” she said.

She said that she had taken note that several court cases previously had ruled that the Yang di-Pertuan Agong’s decision to proclaim an Emergency could not be challenged as it is provided for under Article 150 (8) of the Federal Constitution.

Azalina said that although the proclamation could not be challenged, she did provide some alternatives in her letter, among them a suggestion to the Yang di-Pertuan Agong for a special bipartisan committee to be formed to advice His Majesty on matters pertaining to the people’s rights and freedom under the Federal Constitution.

She also said that the agreement to form the Perikatan Nasional Presidential Council last year could also be used by UMNO to channel whatever input, including any objections regarding government policies during the Movement Control Order (MCO) 2.0 and Emergency.

“All Dewan Rakyat and Dewan Negara members from UMNO, who are also members of the All-Party Parliamentary Group of Malaysia (APPGM) and Special Select Committees (JPK), could still play active roles so that APPGM and JPK activities could still be actively carried out and continued.

“This is because on Jan 12, the Dewan Rakyat Speaker (Datuk Azhar Azizan Harun) had announced that all activities of any caucus, APPGM or JPK that had been established can still continue.

“Any grouses and grievances of the people in their Parliamentary constituencies can be brought to the attention of UMNO ministers in the Cabinet meeting. This is because the UMNO MPs still receive allocations from the government and have the freedom to travel interstate to their respective constituencies,” she said.

She also requested UMNO representatives to be appointed soon to the independent special committee on the Emergency to be formed as decreed by the King.

Azalina, who is also the MP for Pengerang, said that other countries which declared Emergency to curb the spread of COVID-19 had prepared earlier, among them by amending the rules of the meeting to allow for their Parliament sitting to be held online.

“This was not done in Malaysia in our previous session,” she said.

She stressed that Article 14(1) of the Ordinance that the Yang di-Pertuan Agong proclaimed recently provided that Parliament could only be convened at a time deemed fit by the King.

“As such, I feel that that the possibility of His Majesty calling for a Parliamentary sitting in the near future or cancelling the Emergency are very slim,” she said.

“Based on these reasons, I respectfully reject and disagree with the application for consent on the issue as requested by to support the MP for Pontian,” she said.

Source: BERNAMA News Agency

EPF announces temporary closure of Lahad Datu branch

The Employees Provident Fund (EPF) is temporarily closing its Lahad Datu office and counters from tomorrow until further notice after a few of its employees at the branch tested positive for COVID-19.

“The identified cases are now under treatment while contact tracing is currently under way,” said EPF in a statement today, adding that the premises is closed for disinfection and sanitisation.

It said members are advised to transact online via i-Akaun for selected services or reschedule their visits to a later date via the Janji Temu Online facility if there is a need to be present at the EPF branches in person.

It said members who need further clarification can contact the EPF Contact Management Centre at 03-8922 6000 or refer to the EPF website at www.kwsp.gov.my.

Source: BERNAMA News Agency

Entire nation to come under MCO except Sarawak – Ismail Sabri

Movement Control Order (MCO) will be implemented in Perak, Kedah, Perlis, Negeri Sembilan, Pahang and Terengganu from Jan 22 to Feb 4 2021, thus bringing the entire nation under MCO except Sarawak.

Senior Minister (Security Cluster) Datuk Seri Ismail Sabri Yaakob said the measure was taken after the increasing positive COVID-19 cases in the community in the states involved,

“From risk assessment and on the advice of the Health Ministry (MOH), the government agreed that MCO is enforced in the states to curb the spread of COVID-19,” he said in a media conference on the development of MCO here today.

Earlier, MCO came into force in six states, namely Penang, Selangor, Federal Territories (Kuala Lumpur, Putrajaya and Labuan), Melaka, Johor and Sabah from Jan 13 to 26.

Pahang, Perak, Negeri Sembilan, Kedah, Terengganu and Kelantan were under Conditional Movement Control Order (CMCO) while Perlis and and Sarawak came under Recovery MCO (RMCO) during the period.

On Jan 16, MCO was also implemented in Kelantan until Jan 26.

On the implementation of the standard operating procedure (SOP), he said it would be the same as announced earlier in which residents are not allowed go out of the house except two individuals from one house at one time to buy daily essential goods as well as in emergency cases.

Movements in and out of all MCO areas are only allowed with police approval, he said.

Nonetheless, he said restaurants, food shops, food trucks, roadside hawkers, food courts, kiosks, food stalls, sundry shops and convenient stores are allowed to operate from 6 am to 8 pm.

Food supply and selling activities would only be allowed for takeaway , drive-through or by delivery from 6 am to 8 pm while hospitals and clinics could operate for 24 hours.

“Pharmacies and shops for daily essential items can operate from 6 am to 8 pm, petrol stations can operate from 6 am to 10 pm except on highways which are allowed open for 24 hours,” he said.

Meanwhile, Ismail Sabri said the Enhanced Movement Control Order (EMCO) at Amber Court Apartment in Bentong, Pahang would end as scheduled following a falling trend in reported COVID-19 cases with no screening samples awaiting results.

Also ending tomorrow is the EMCO at Moral Rehabilitation Centre in Muar, Johor, except at the accommodation block at Block C and School Block which would be extended to Feb 3 as there is a balance of 85 active cases in the two blocks.

Source: BERNAMA News Agency