Home / Medical & Health Care / NO MERS REPORT INVOLVING MALAYSIAN PILGRIMS

NO MERS REPORT INVOLVING MALAYSIAN PILGRIMS

KUALA LUMPUR, Malaysia Sept 7 (NNN-Bernama) The Health Ministry (KKM) has confirmed there are so far no cases of Middle East respiratory syndrome coronavirus (MERS-CoV) involving Malaysia pilgrims who began departing home since Aug 29.

Health director-general Datuk Dr Noor Hisham Abdullah said even though there were 27 cases of patient under investigation (PUI) for MERS notified, nonetheless all patients were confirmed free of infection through laboratory tests.

Following the end of the haj season this year, KKM reminded pilgrims who returned to Malaysia to monitor their health themselves. Should they experience respiratory infection such as breathing difficulties, fever, cough, flu and sore throat, they should seek treatment immediately and report their trip to the Holy Land, he said in a media statement here today.

There were two positive cases involving pilgrims from Johor and Selangor in April 2014 and December 2017.

The World Health Organisation (WHO) reported 2,229 cases were confirmed MERS including 791 deaths from 27 countries throughout the world.

Source: NAM News Network

Check Also

MALAYSIA: FATHER AND SON COMPLETE 1,600KM JOHOR-TO-PERLIS WALK

KANGAR, Perlis state, Malaysia The Malaysia Day celebration this year is more meaningful for a father and son when they managed to complete their 1,600km Johor-to-Perlis walk here midnight yesterday. What made it all the more sweeter was the Love My Ma...