PUTRAJAYA, Malaysia Prime Minister Dr Mahathir Mohamad said today the government would review, and possibly terminate, the agreement with a United States-based seabed exploration company searching for the missing Malaysia Airlines Flight MH370.
He said the government would like to know the details and the necessity for the search conducted by Ocean Infinity Limited.
If we find it not necessary, we will not renew. We are reviewing the contract. We may terminate it if it is not useful, he said at a press conference after chairing the first meeting of the new Cabinet at Perdana Putra here.
The operation by Ocean Infinity, which was given the official mandate to search over 16,000 sq km early this year, failed to turn up any concrete evidence.
The MH370 aircraft, with 239 people on board, went missing on a flight from Kuala Lumpur to Beijing on March 8, 2014, in what has been described as the most mysterious incident in world aviation history.
Australia, Malaysia and China suspended a joint two-year underwater search for the aircraft in January last year. No sign of the plane was found in the 120,000 sq km search area in the southern Indian Ocean.
So far, only three fragments of what is believed to be MH370 parts have been found on the western Indian Ocean shore, including a two-metre flaperon.
Source: NAM News Network