KOTA KINABALU, Sabah state, Malaysia Aug 14 (NNNBernama)At least 200 international charter and extra flights, from now until March next year, will bring an influx of tourists to Sabah from China, South Korea and Japan, said Tourism, Culture and Environment Minister Christina Liew.
She said the charter flights would originate from secondtier cities in China such as Zhengzhou, Wenzhou, Nanning, Tianjin, Yi Wu and Xiayang and at least 76 flights were expected from South Korea, including one from Jeju Island which would be the first direct charter flight to Kota Kinabalu.
We (Sabah) received 152 charter flights or an additional 20,000 tourists in the first half of the year from China and Japan.
Currently, about 196 flights from 21 international cities fly to the Kota Kinabalu International Airport weekly.
Last year, Sabah received 215 charter flights from China, South Korea, Taiwan, Japan and Thailand, she told reporters after the state legislative assembly meeting here today.
Meanwhile, Liew said thrice weekly direct flights from Bangkok to Kota Kinabalu would begin on Aug 16, 2018 and double daily flights from Shenzen and Macau are expected to start in November.
The minister said total tourist arrivals in Sabah, as at June 2018, stood at 1.89 million, up 5.3 per cent, over the corresponding period last year.
“We are on track to achieve our target of 3.85 million tourists arrivals by yearend and this will boost our economy, Liew added.NNNBERNAMA
Source: NAM News Network