PUTRAJAYA Social and education sector restrictions imposed under the Movement Control Order (MCO) are expected to be eased further, if daily COVID-19 cases in the country could be sustained at lower double digits or even single digits.
Health director-general Datuk Dr Noor Hisham Abdullah said the decision on the matter would be made in the first week of June.
“If we can sustain until June 9 and take into account the festive season, then perhaps we will open up more of the social and education sectors…the timing is important.
“We are very cautious before we make any changes to our policy, so we hope that the public could work hand in hand with the Health Ministry (MOH),” he said during the daily press conference here today.
Dr Noor Hisham said as for now, cases involving Malaysians have decreased and of late, the spike in numbers was due to foreigners being infected by the virus.
“If we can handle both, we can bring down the cases…and see whether this festive season have any impact on the Malaysian numbers,” he added.
The government had earlier implemented the MCO from March 18 and extended it until May 12, before continuing with the Conditional Movement Control Order (CMCO) until June 9, that allows almost all economic and social sectors to reopen in a controlled and orderly manner.
Dr Noor Hisham said the change of strategy from the MCO to CMCO had shown a success and this was attributed not only to the efforts of the MOH and the government, but was also due to public commitment.
He also hoped that the public would continue to abide by the standard operating procedures (SOPs) as social responsibility, social discipline and social compliance are very important to break the chain of COVID-19 transmission in the country.
Source: BERNAMA News Agency