Home / Medical / COVID-19 fund raises RM40.2 million as of May 7 – Ismail Sabri

COVID-19 fund raises RM40.2 million as of May 7 – Ismail Sabri

PUTRAJAYA The COVID-19 Fund launched on March 11 has received RM40.2 million in donations from various quarters as of May 7, Senior Minister (Security Cluster) Datuk Seri Ismail Sabri Yaakob announced.

He said most of the donations would be channelled to the people directly affected by the COVID-19 pandemic, namely through the Special Aid for Loss of Income and Compassionate Aid Upon Death.

At his daily press conference here today,  Ismail Sabri explained that the Special Aid for Loss of Income will be given to patients who were being treated for COVID-19 or the patients’ close contacts who were under monitoring and surveillance.

“Those eligible to apply for the aid are Malaysian citizens who have lost their income while being placed under monitoring and surveillance or quarantine as compelled by the Ministry of Health (MOH),” he said.

Also eligible to apply are workers who lost their source of income or being denied salary while receiving treatment for COVID-19 at hospital wards. They will also receive RM100 a day for the 14-day quarantine period.

However, those who were staying at home due to the Movement Control Order are not eligible to receive the aid.

Ismail Sabri said 94 individuals had received the Special Aid for Loss of Income,  totalling RM125,700, so far.

For Compassionate Aid Upon Death, a one-off aid of RM5,000 would be given to the family of the patient who died due to COVID-19, and based on records, 71 families have received the aid, totalling RM355,000, so far.

Meanwhile, the minister said a sum of RM25.2 million has been channelled to the Women, Family and Community Development Ministry through the National Welfare Foundation, to also help the people affected by the pandemic.

The Perikatan Nasional (PN) government had, on March 11, launched the special fund which will give financial aid to those directly affected by the COVID-19 infection.

Prime Minister Tan Sri Muhyiddin Yassin said for a start, RM1 million had been channelled into the fund to help COVID-19 patients and those under 14-day quarantine but not holding any jobs.

Source: BERNAMA News Agency

About malaysiang

Check Also

LZS Contributes 2,000 PPE sets to Selangor Health Dept

SHAH ALAM The Selangor Zakat Board (LZS) today handed over personal protective equipment (PPE) contributions …

Leave a Reply