Home / Legal

Legal

Emergency: Court to hear PM, govt’s bid to strike out Khairuddin’s suit on April 12

The application by Tan Sri Muhyiddin Yassin and the Government of Malaysia to strike out the originating summons by former Jasin parliamentary coordinator Datuk Seri Khairuddin Abu Hassan against them for their action of advising the Yang di-Pertuan Agong in declaring the COVID-19 emergency will be heard on April 12.

Senior federal counsel Ahmad Hanir Hambaly said the application would be heard before High Court judge Datuk Seri Mariana Yahya.

He was met after the case management today, which was also attended by Khairuddin’s lawyer Muhammad Rafique Rashid Ali.

On Feb 17, Muhyiddin and the Government of Malaysia filed the application to strike out the suit on grounds that it was frivolous, trivial, troublesome and an abuse of the court process.

Solicitor-General Datuk Abdul Razak Musa, in a supporting affidavit filed with the application, said there was no evidence in Khairuddin’s application as the plaintiff, or in his supporting affidavit, that supported his claim that Muhyiddin had lost the confidence of the majority members of the Dewan Rakyat.

He said the plaintiff had also failed to identify the public and private rights or legal interests that had been denied or personal losses suffered following the first defendant’s advice to the King, and the issue or the controversy between the plaintiff and the defendants that requires a decision by the court.

Khairuddin filed the suit on Jan 18, asking the court to decide on four legal and constitutional issues over the emergency proclamation.

On Jan 12, Yang di-Pertuan Agong Al-Sultan Abdullah Ri’ayatuddin Al-Mustafa Billah Shah proclaimed a COVID-19 Emergency, to be enforced up to Aug 1, as a proactive measure to contain the worsening pandemic in Malaysia.

Muhyiddin on the same day explained that the Cabinet had advised the King to proclaim the emergency under Clause (1) of Article 150 of the Federal Constitution effective Jan 11, 2021, until Aug 1, 2021.

Clause (1) of Article 150 states that if the King is satisfied that a grave emergency exists whereby the security, or the economic life, or public order in the Federation or any part thereof is threatened, he may issue a Proclamation of Emergency, making therein a declaration to that effect.

Source: BERNAMA News Agency

EMCO in Tapah Prison, staff quarters from Feb 16 until March 1

The Enhanced Movement Control Order (EMCO) will be enforced at the Tapah Prison and its staff quarters starting Tuesday (Feb 16) until March 1, said Senior Minister (Security Cluster) Datuk Seri Ismail Sabri Yaakob.

He said the EMCO would make it easier for the Health Ministry (MOH) to conduct targeted screening on all inmates, staff and their close contacts to curb the spread of the virus in the community.

“To date, the MOH has conducted 187 screening tests on close contacts, of which 55 COVID-19 positive cases have been recorded,” he said in a statement on the Movement Control Order (MCO) developments today.

He added that the existing standard operating procedures (SOP) for the EMCO would apply for the prison, with movement in and out of the prison and visits by family members not allowed.

Meanwhile, Ismail Sabri said the government has also agreed to extend the EMCO at the Sungai Udang Prison in Melaka starting Feb 17 until March 2, excluding its staff quarters, while the Low-Risk Quarantine and Treatment Centre (PKRC) at the prison would end its operation tomorrow as scheduled.

Ismail Sabri also announced that the EMCO at the Kampung Sungai Ud, Dalat, Sarawak; as well as Felcra Nasaruddin and Felda Bersia in Perak would end tomorrow.

He said the decision was made after a risk assessment was carried out with various agencies under the MCO Technical Committee.

On violations of the MCO SOP, he said 1,111 individuals were arrested yesterday, with 1,040 of them compounded while 71 others remanded.

Among the offences are inter-district and state travel without permission (306 cases), not maintaining physical distance (300) and failure to provide equipment to record customer details (107).

On Op Benteng, Ismail Sabri said a total of 22 illegal immigrants were detained yesterday and six land vehicles were also seized.

He said 5,402 foreign workers have undergone the screening tests yesterday and 11 of them turned out to be COVID-19 positive.

“Cumulatively, the Human Resource Ministry informed that

Source: BERNAMA News Agency

Company director, manager charged with using fake halal logo on frozen meat products

Two individuals and a company linked to a meat cartel case in December last year were charged in the Sessions Court here today with seven counts each involving the Trade Descriptions Act 2011.

Chong Kim Kuang, 48, who is the manager of LY Frozen Food Sdn Bhd and Yong Chee Keong, 40, the company director, however, pleaded not guilty to all the charges readout separately before Judge Ahmad Fuad Othman.

Meanwhile, Yong in his capacity as the director also pleaded not guilty to the seven counts filed against the company.

According to the charge sheet, the two accused, along with the company and another director who is still at large – Tan Siew Huak, 42, were charged with using fake trade descriptions with regard to the halal logo of the Islamic Co-ordinating Council of Victoria and Perth Mosque Incorporated on 3,418 boxes containing frozen food.

All of them were also charged with offering the products for sale using the labels of GBP Australia Pty Ltd and Ararat Meat Exports Pty Ltd with the Australian Halal logo to indicate that the food can be consumed by Muslims, in a manner contrary to Paragraph 4 (1) of the Trade Description (Certification and Marking of Halal) Order 2011.

They were also charged with possession of the goods using fake trade descriptions without the approval of GBP Australia Pty Ltd and Ararat Meat Exports Pty Ltd.

All the offences are alleged to have been committed at No. 663 Jalan Idaman ¾ Taman Perindustrian Desa Idaman, Senai, in the Kulai district on Dec 1, 2020, at about 3.30 pm.

They were charged under Section 5 (1)(a) and Section 5 (1)(c) of the Trade Descriptions Act 2011, as well as the Trade Descriptions (Certification and Halal Marking) Order 2011.

If convicted, they can be fined not more than RM100,000, or jailed for not more than three years, or both.

The prosecution was conducted by deputy public prosecutors Mohammad Onn Abd Aziz, Kwan Li Sa, Syazwani Zawawi, T. Ashivinii and Kee Shu Min while the accused were represented by lawyers Zamri Idrus, Yusman Che Aman and Saiful Zaman Abd. Rahman.

The court set bail for each of the accused at RM250,000 in one surety, while they would also have to have to hand over their passports to the court and report themselves to the Kulai District Police Headquarters every two weeks.

The case is set for mention on March 28.

Source: BERNAMA News Agency

No SOP violation during chariot journey – Police

Police have described as incorrect the caption of a viral video on social media claiming that there was a violation of the standard operating procedures (SOPs) during the chariot journey in conjunction with the Thaipusam celebration early yesterday morning.

Dang Wangi district police chief ACP Mohamad Zainal Abdullah said instead, the video which was recorded at 3 am at the Sri Maha Mariamman Temple in Jalan Tun H.S. Lee here, showed the police personnel were helping out to expedite the chariot movement as requested by the organiser.

He said only 10 people were allowed in transporting the chariot to comply with the SOPs stipulated by the government.

“The police officers and personnel assisting the chariot journey are all Indians,” he said in a statement today.

Mohamad Zainal said the public can contact the Dang Wang District Police Headquarters at 03-2600 2222, Kuala Lumpur police hotline at 03-2115 9999 or any nearest police stations if they have any information or enquiries.

Source: BERNAMA News Agency

No SOP violation during chariot journey – Police

Police have described as incorrect the caption of a viral video on social media claiming that there was a violation of the standard operating procedures (SOPs) during the chariot journey in conjunction with the Thaipusam celebration early yesterday morning.

Dang Wangi district police chief ACP Mohamad Zainal Abdullah said instead, the video which was recorded at 3 am at the Sri Maha Mariamman Temple in Jalan Tun H.S. Lee here, showed the police personnel were helping out to expedite the chariot movement as requested by the organiser.

He said only 10 people were allowed in transporting the chariot to comply with the SOPs stipulated by the government.

“The police officers and personnel assisting the chariot journey are all Indians,” he said in a statement today.

Mohamad Zainal said the public can contact the Dang Wang District Police Headquarters at 03-2600 2222, Kuala Lumpur police hotline at 03-2115 9999 or any nearest police stations if they have any information or enquiries.

Source: BERNAMA News Agency

Kavadi bearer cleanses sins without piercings for Thaipusam this year

– Apart from the large, colourful structures carried by the kavadi bearers during the Thaipusam festival, another significant characteristic about these worshippers was the piercings around their body, most notably using skewers or vel spears, symbolising the burdens they carried.

However, 2021 is an unprecedented year in which the Thaipusam celebration in Penang has been cancelled and devotees are not allowed to visit the temples to do their prayers due to the COVID-19 pandemic.

Both the state and the federal governments have urged all devotees to strictly follow the standard operating procedures (SOP) to curb the spread of COVID-19 and urged them to do their prayers at home.

This has put the kavadi bearer R. Karunaji in an unusual spot, as he had been preparing to purge himself mentally and physically for almost three months solely for this annual tradition.

“For the past 55 years of celebrating Thaipusam as a kavadi bearer, this is the first time I prayed at home, and without carrying my kavadi or wearing any piercings,” he told Bernama when met at his home at Lorong Macalister here today.

But despite all odds, Karunaji said what matters most is that the devotees are committed to fulfilling their vows to the Hindu god of war, Lord Murugan.

“We would still commit to our devotion to our Lord Murugan and to be cleansed from our sins, but at the same time, we would also want to follow the guidelines set by the government to ensure our health and safety,” he said.

Karunaji, who is also a kavadi maker, said that he used to make his vows at the Sri Mahamariamman Temple at Queen Street and walked about 10km uphill to the Penang Hilltop Temple while carrying his self-made kavadi.

He also said that after fulfilling his vow, he usually would serve free meals to the needy.

“We used to serve up to 5,000 people with free meals, but we can’t do that much this year because of the Movement Control Order (MCO) and the pandemic.

“This year, we prepared the free meals two to three days before Thaipusam and distributed them to the people on the street,” he said while expressing hope that the pandemic could end soon so that he could relive the tradition of carrying his kavadi to temple during Thaipusam.

Source: BERNAMA News Agency

Kavadi bearer cleanses sins without piercings for Thaipusam this year

– Apart from the large, colourful structures carried by the kavadi bearers during the Thaipusam festival, another significant characteristic about these worshippers was the piercings around their body, most notably using skewers or vel spears, symbolising the burdens they carried.

However, 2021 is an unprecedented year in which the Thaipusam celebration in Penang has been cancelled and devotees are not allowed to visit the temples to do their prayers due to the COVID-19 pandemic.

Both the state and the federal governments have urged all devotees to strictly follow the standard operating procedures (SOP) to curb the spread of COVID-19 and urged them to do their prayers at home.

This has put the kavadi bearer R. Karunaji in an unusual spot, as he had been preparing to purge himself mentally and physically for almost three months solely for this annual tradition.

“For the past 55 years of celebrating Thaipusam as a kavadi bearer, this is the first time I prayed at home, and without carrying my kavadi or wearing any piercings,” he told Bernama when met at his home at Lorong Macalister here today.

But despite all odds, Karunaji said what matters most is that the devotees are committed to fulfilling their vows to the Hindu god of war, Lord Murugan.

“We would still commit to our devotion to our Lord Murugan and to be cleansed from our sins, but at the same time, we would also want to follow the guidelines set by the government to ensure our health and safety,” he said.

Karunaji, who is also a kavadi maker, said that he used to make his vows at the Sri Mahamariamman Temple at Queen Street and walked about 10km uphill to the Penang Hilltop Temple while carrying his self-made kavadi.

He also said that after fulfilling his vow, he usually would serve free meals to the needy.

“We used to serve up to 5,000 people with free meals, but we can’t do that much this year because of the Movement Control Order (MCO) and the pandemic.

“This year, we prepared the free meals two to three days before Thaipusam and distributed them to the people on the street,” he said while expressing hope that the pandemic could end soon so that he could relive the tradition of carrying his kavadi to temple during Thaipusam.

Source: BERNAMA News Agency