SIBU: The request for Sibu-Kota Kinabalu (KK) sector to be served by a jetliner has been previously taken up to the federal Ministry of Transport and low-cost airline AirAsia.
In stating this yesterday, Assistant Minister of Tourism, Arts and Culture Datuk Lee Kim Shin said his office had contacted AirAsia on Monday to follow up on the matter.
AirAsia has replied that the Sibu-KK route is still pending approval from Malaysian Aviation Commission (MAVCom), Lee told The Borneo Post.
For the record, AirAsia discontinued the route in August 2009 after operating for four months, as MASwings had been given exclusive rights by the government to service the rural air sector.
Recently, Sibu Chinese Chamber of Commerce and Industry (SCCCI) reiterated the need to upgrade flight services between Sibu and KK.
SCCCI president Dr Gregory Hii told a press conference in May this year that the sector needed the service of larger aircraft such as Boeing or Airbus, in addition to ATR propeller planes.
We’ve written to the previous federal government but there had not been any reply. We’ve now written to the new Minister of Transport Anthony Loke Siew Fook, he was quoted as having said then.
Hii said in April this year, SCCCI launched a signature campaign to request for Sibu-KK route to be serviced by Boeing/Airbus, including by AirAsia, which garnered 4,205 signatures.
Hii had appealed to the minister to instruct MAVCom to allow AirAsia or Malaysia Airlines to fly this sector, in addition to MASwings, for the convenience of business and leisure travellers as well as Sibu folk.
Source: SARAWAK GOVERNMENT