Home / 2021 / October / 03

Daily Archives: October 3, 2021

KPKT plans to implement MOVAK Outreach Programme 2.0

GEORGETOWN, Oct 3 — The Housing and Local Government Ministry (KPKT) plans to implement the Community Vaccine Mobilisation (MOVAK) Outreach Programme 2.0 soon.

Housing and Local Government Deputy Minister, Datuk Seri Ismail Abd Muttalib said the programme would be targeting unvaccinated residents including adolescents aged 12 to 17 years in the People’s Housing Programme (PPR) areas.

“The MOVAK Outreach Programme 1.0 is an initiative undertaken in collaboration with the Ministry of National Unity in states across Peninsular Malaysia in creating a support ecosystem to speed up the vaccination process for the community.

“Until now, we have carried it out in seven states, namely, Perlis, Kedah Penang, Perak, Negeri Sembilan, Melaka and Johor.

“The ministry (KPKT) will study the need to extend this programme to the other states,” he told reporters after viewing the vaccination process in conjunction with the closing of the MOVAK Outreach 1.0 at the vaccination centre (PPV) in Dewan Sri Pinang, here, today.

Ismail said a total of 84,868 doses of vaccine had been allocated for the programme, implemented since last Aug 23.

Twelve passenger buses that were renovated according to the specifications agreed upon by the COVID-19 Immunisation Task Force (CITF) and Health Ministry have been used as mobile vaccination units, the main image for the programme implementation.

KPKT has spent RM3.4 million on the MOVAK Outreach Programme 1.0, focusing on vaccinating the target groups such as night market (pasar malam) and pasar tani hawkers and petty traders, PPR communities, and rural, traditional village and Orang Asli residents.

Source: BERNAMA News Agency

Face-to-face school sessions for 47,000 students run smoothly – Radzi

DUNGUN, Oct 3 — Face-to-face school sessions involving 47,000 students in Terengganu, Kelantan and Langkawi, Kedah which commenced today went smoothly.

Senior Education Minister Datuk Dr Radzi Jidin said overall, schools had successfully complied with the stipulated procedures and guidelines to prevent COVID-19 infection, including the ventilation aspect in classrooms which had been emphasized by the ministry previously.

“The ventilation in almost all classes is at the optimum level and students and teachers are wearing face masks in the classrooms.

“Everything is going well, including the rotation system. As we have announced before, only half of the students will be in the classroom while the rest will be studying at home. This will allow them to maintain physical distance and we also hope that the admission and dispersal of students can be done in an orderly manner.”

He said this to reporters after observing the face-to-face school session at Sekolah Menengah Sains Dungun here today.

Earlier, Radzi also visited several other schools including Sekolah Menengah Kebangsaan (SMK) Sultan Sulaiman in Kuala Terengganu; Sekolah Menengah Agama Marang in Marang; and SMK Tengku Intan Zaharah in Dungun.

Meanwhile, Radzi said more than 80 per cent of Form Five and Form Six students nationwide had received the COVID-19 vaccine.

He said in general, the vaccination process for Form One to Form Five students was going well so far and the number of vaccine recipients among the group had increased quite quickly.

“Almost all Form Six and Form Five students have been inoculated. Now, (the vaccination process) is being implemented in stages. Some will be done in schools like SMK Sultan Sulaiman (Kuala Terengganu) today which is the vaccination centre for two schools,” he said.

In a related development, Radzi said the decision not to allow some 2,000 teachers who refused to be vaccinated to conduct face-to-face lessons would not affect the teaching and learning sessions either in school or at home.

“We have identified their schools and subjects that they teach. Therefore, when I said that there is a huge possibility of them being transferred out, it does not mean that they can conduct face-to-face lessons in the other school. No.

“There are cases where almost all teachers who teach the same subject refuse to be vaccinated. That is why we decided that these teachers need to be transferred out to ensure that the posts are not affected. But for now, these teachers are given other tasks,” he said.

Meanwhile, Radzi said the decision to start the 2022 academic calendar in March was made based on in-depth discussions with various parties including teachers, parent-teacher associations representatives in several states, principals, headmasters and experts.

“We make this decision so that we can make full use of January and February to ensure our children are truly ready to advance to the next class.

“We are confident that this approach will give enough time for our children to be prepared and ensure they achieve the minimum level of mastery before proceeding to the next class,” he said.

Previously, Radzi said the 2021 schooling session will be extended to March 2022 so that intervention among weak students can be carried out on the grounds that they have not attended classes for some time.

Source: BERNAMA News Agency

Comply with directive to reduce tuition fees, Noraini reminds public universities

KUALA LUMPUR, Oct 3 — All public universities have been reminded to comply with the directive to reduce tuition fees by 20 per cent for the first semester of the 2021/2022 session.

Higher Education Minister Datuk Seri Dr Noraini Ahmad stressed that the directive had already been issued to public universities.

“The move is in line with the Ministry of Higher Education’s continued efforts in looking after the welfare of students, especially under the #KPTPrihatin initiative,” she said in a statement here today.

Noraini said there should not be tuition fee hikes at a time when the COVID-19 pandemic has economically impacted the lives of the people.

The Universiti Malaya Students’ Union (KMUM) recently urged Universiti Malaya to explain its decision to increase tuition fees for the 2021/22 session.

This is following a reported 10 to 60 per cent hike in tuition fees which KMUM felt was too steep and unreasonable, especially in current times.

Source: BERNAMA News Agency

Comply with directive to reduce tuition fees, Noraini reminds public universities

KUALA LUMPUR, Oct 3 — All public universities have been reminded to comply with the directive to reduce tuition fees by 20 per cent for the first semester of the 2021/2022 session.

Higher Education Minister Datuk Seri Dr Noraini Ahmad stressed that the directive had already been issued to public universities.

“The move is in line with the Ministry of Higher Education’s continued efforts in looking after the welfare of students, especially under the #KPTPrihatin initiative,” she said in a statement here today.

Noraini said there should not be tuition fee hikes at a time when the COVID-19 pandemic has economically impacted the lives of the people.

The Universiti Malaya Students’ Union (KMUM) recently urged Universiti Malaya to explain its decision to increase tuition fees for the 2021/22 session.

This is following a reported 10 to 60 per cent hike in tuition fees which KMUM felt was too steep and unreasonable, especially in current times.

Source: BERNAMA News Agency

Langkawi tourism bubble project a great success – LADA

ALOR SETAR, Oct 3 — The tourism bubble pilot project in Langkawi has been a great success since it was implemented two weeks ago on Sept 16.

Langkawi Development Authority (LADA) chief executive officer Nasaruddin Abdul Muttalib said tourist arrivals under the travel bubble until Sept 30 had generated RM15.97 million in revenue for the Langkawi tourism industry.

“Until Sept 30, Langkawi had received 38,748 tourists. Some 26,377 tourists arrived via the Langkawi International Airport while another 7,480 tourists disembarked at the Kuah Jetty.

“Another major entry point, the Tanjung Lembung Wharf (Langkawi Port) received 4,891 tourists,” he said in a statement here today.

Nasaruddin said if the figure could be maintained, it is not impossible that the government’s target of 400,000 tourist arrivals by December could be achieved.

He said for the period of Sept 16 to 30, Langkawi had recorded tourist arrivals of 29 per cent higher than the initial target and LADA aimed that 60,000 tourists would visit the resort island this month.

Meanwhile, Nasaruddin said LADA also hoped that the Tourism, Arts and Culture (MOTAC) Ministry and the National Security Council could reopen the island to international tourists as early as next month or December, if appropriate.

“At the moment, we are drawing up the standard operating procedures for foreign tourists with the cooperation of MOTAC and subject to the approval from the federal government,” he said.

Nasaruddin added that discussions with several local and international airlines like Qatar Airways, AirAsia Bhd, Scoot Tigerair Ltd had been initiated to plan scheduled and chartered flights arrangements from certain countries.

Meanwhile, in KUCHING, Tourism, Arts and Culture Minister Datuk Seri Nancy Shukri said the success of the Langkawi tourism bubble pilot project was very motivating and inspiring for the ministry.

“We are hoping to announce interstate travel soon and by the time we have that, we can have a travel bubble in other places as well,” she said in a press conference after a working visit to the Sarawak Cultural Village here today.

Nancy said the government was also considering Langkawi as the first international travel bubble destination for the country.

“In the coming week, I will have a discussion with my counterparts from other countries and we are arranging for that (travel bubble). Langkawi is the best model for this because we have Qatar Airways and quite a number of other international flights to Langkawi,” she said.

Source: BERNAMA News Agency

Langkawi tourism bubble project a great success – LADA

ALOR SETAR, Oct 3 — The tourism bubble pilot project in Langkawi has been a great success since it was implemented two weeks ago on Sept 16.

Langkawi Development Authority (LADA) chief executive officer Nasaruddin Abdul Muttalib said tourist arrivals under the travel bubble until Sept 30 had generated RM15.97 million in revenue for the Langkawi tourism industry.

“Until Sept 30, Langkawi had received 38,748 tourists. Some 26,377 tourists arrived via the Langkawi International Airport while another 7,480 tourists disembarked at the Kuah Jetty.

“Another major entry point, the Tanjung Lembung Wharf (Langkawi Port) received 4,891 tourists,” he said in a statement here today.

Nasaruddin said if the figure could be maintained, it is not impossible that the government’s target of 400,000 tourist arrivals by December could be achieved.

He said for the period of Sept 16 to 30, Langkawi had recorded tourist arrivals of 29 per cent higher than the initial target and LADA aimed that 60,000 tourists would visit the resort island this month.

Meanwhile, Nasaruddin said LADA also hoped that the Tourism, Arts and Culture (MOTAC) Ministry and the National Security Council could reopen the island to international tourists as early as next month or December, if appropriate.

“At the moment, we are drawing up the standard operating procedures for foreign tourists with the cooperation of MOTAC and subject to the approval from the federal government,” he said.

Nasaruddin added that discussions with several local and international airlines like Qatar Airways, AirAsia Bhd, Scoot Tigerair Ltd had been initiated to plan scheduled and chartered flights arrangements from certain countries.

Meanwhile, in KUCHING, Tourism, Arts and Culture Minister Datuk Seri Nancy Shukri said the success of the Langkawi tourism bubble pilot project was very motivating and inspiring for the ministry.

“We are hoping to announce interstate travel soon and by the time we have that, we can have a travel bubble in other places as well,” she said in a press conference after a working visit to the Sarawak Cultural Village here today.

Nancy said the government was also considering Langkawi as the first international travel bubble destination for the country.

“In the coming week, I will have a discussion with my counterparts from other countries and we are arranging for that (travel bubble). Langkawi is the best model for this because we have Qatar Airways and quite a number of other international flights to Langkawi,” she said.

Source: BERNAMA News Agency

RM599 million in aid chanelled to senior citizens up to August – Rina

SEPANG, Oct 3 — The Women, Family and Community Development Ministry (KPWKM) has channelled RM559 million in aid to 138,000 senior citizens for the first eight months of this year, its minister Datuk Seri Rina Mohd Harun said.

She said for this year, the government had allocated RM880 million under the Senior Citizens Assistance scheme to be distributed to those who are registered under the Welfare Department, adding that each recipient will receive RM500 a month.

“This (senior citizens aid scheme) is actually monthly cash aid and only given to senior citizens who meet criteria like those living alone and unable to work for survival,” she said after visiting the Yayasan Al-Jenderami Complex here today.

Rina said it is also for senior citizens who are aged 60 and above with a household income not exceeding the poverty line for households.

She said her ministry will continue to improve the quality of care, protection and support to enable senior citizens to be part of a healthy, active and productive society.

“These efforts include the introduction of laws to protect the rights of senior citizens, creating a comprehensive long-term framework to improve the quality and care for senior citizens as well as enhancing the social care industry.

“Awareness campaigns about having healthy old age lives will be intensified, while senior citizen care will be made a professional career,” she said.

She said the ministry was now conducting talks with various parties and stakeholders to introduce the Senior Citizens Act as preparations towards being an ageing nation.

“This is a new act and is still in the early discussion stage where we hope by the year 2030, there are laws to assist senior citizens in terms of jobs, flexible hours, the establishment of senior citizen-friendly townships and so on.

“Based on projected data by the Statistics Department, the country is expected to be an ageing nation in 2030 in which 15.3 per cent of the country’s population will be 60 years old and above.

“At that time, the number of senior citizens in the country will reach 5.8 million from a total population of 38.1 million,” she said.

In the meantime, Rina said her ministry would soon be launching the e-Senior Citizens System that acts as a national integrated database for senior citizens.

Source: BERNAMA News Agency