Home / 2020 / August / 03

Daily Archives: August 3, 2020

Elephants cause panic among highway users in Gerik

IPOH The presence of three elephants at the East-West Highway near the Puncak Banjaran Titiwangsa rest and service area in Gerik caused panic among road users who were passing by the area last night.

 

In the 7 pm incident, one of the animals was said to have approached and leaned against the rear of a Perodua Axia, which was heading from Kelantan to Perak, after another vehicle sounded the horn.

 

Perak Wildlife and National Parks Department (Perhilitan) director Yusoff Shariff, when contacted by Bernama, confirmed the incident.

 

 

 

He said that the department had sent representatives to guard and monitor the location at about 9.30 pm.

 

“However, based on our investigation, the car was damaged after it skidded to the road shoulder while avoiding the animals which were crossing the road,” he said.

 

Yusoff said that further investigation was ongoing to find out whether the claim that the animal had stepped on the vehicle was true.

 

 

He added that the two elephants and a calf have been released into their habitat in the nearby forest and asked the road users to be vigilant when passing the area.

 

Perhilitan had previously reminded the public not to sound the horn if they came across animals while driving because it can create panic and cause them to be aggressive.

 

 

Source: BERNAMA News Agency

Youth can drive Malaysia to a better future – Tun M

Youths, the leaders of tomorrow, should be given more chances and opportunities to voice out their opinions with their multiracial compatriots, said former prime minister Tun Dr Mahathir Mohamad today.

 

The 95-year-old nonagenarian believes that Malaysian youth can empower and drive the nation to a better future if given more proper channels or platforms, such as forums or digital discussions.

 

“From that platform, they can identify certain issues and have regular discussions. Together with their Malay, Chinese, Indian friends, it (discussion) will sharpen their mind and understanding about moral values.

 

 

 

“From there, they can understand each other better, especially about politics. Who knows, they can develop a friendship. That is why it is vital to make use of your youth, just communicate and take differences positively,” he said.

 

Speaking at a digital talk organised by MyPerintis, a non-governmental organisation (NGO) that promotes Youth Empowerment, Dr Mahathir said youths should remain active and be involved in a lot of activities to keep their mind busy and occupied so as not to waste the opportunity to develop this country

 

On another matter,  Dr Mahathir advised the rakyat to explore different ways of carrying out businesses, including the online platform, especially since the bank loan-repayment moratorium will not last forever.

 

 

“You must think very hard for the time when the moratorium is lifted, then you will have no more support. What will you do at that time? I sympathise with those who are unable to switch to another business. But always remember that moratorium is not forever, at some stage you have to pay your debt,” he said.

 

The government recently announced the extension of loan repayment moratorium by three months for those who lost their jobs in 2020 due to the fallout from the COVID-19 pandemic, while a targeted approach would be undertaken for the rest.

 

Previously, the government announced a six-month moratorium period from April 1 to Sept 30, 2020, under its PRIHATIN Rakyat Economic Stimulus Package to cushion the impact of the pandemic.

 

Dr Mahathir said those who did not have the capacity to venture into a new business could use the gig economy platform, such as Grab and Foodpanda, to sell their products straight from their own backyard.

 

At the end of the session, he reminded the people to be more tolerant of one another to turn Malaysia into an advanced nation. This, he stressed, was because the country was very rich and there were many opportunities for the people to improve themselves, although they were often distracted by political matters.

 

“Therefore, the people must be smart in making an assessment of the country. If there is a choice during general elections, then choose as best as possible,” he said while advising the people not to be extremists towards anything.

 

 

 

Source: BERNAMA News Agency

Wearing of face masks compulsory only in crowded public places – Ismail Sabri

 

KUALA LUMPUR, The wearing of face masks is only compulsory in crowded public places and on public transport and not in areas where physical distancing is possible, said Senior Minister (Security Cluster) Datuk Seri Ismail Sabri Yaakob.

 

He said crowded public places include markets, pasar tani (farmers’ market), night markets, supermarkets, tourist areas and cinemas.

 

The wearing of face masks is also not compulsory in private vehicles and when doing physical activities, he said.

 

 

 

“Yesterday, there were viral social media reports saying action had been taken against people for not wearing masks in private vehicles; this (taking action) is not right. Private vehicles are not public transport. If you are travelling with family members or colleagues (in private vehicles), no action will be taken.

 

“As for public places, no mask is needed where physical distancing is possible, for example on a football field. The wearing of face masks in wide spaces is not compulsory but encouraged,” he told a news conference on the Recovery Movement Control Order (RMCO) at Parliament building here today.

 

Ismail Sabri said police had agreed to cancel the summonses issued to those who did not wear face masks when travelling in private vehicles.

 

 

He also said children aged two years and below are exempted from the face mask ruling but adults should refrain from taking them to crowded places to reduce the risk of contracting COVID-19.

 

Ismail Sabri said police yesterday issued compounds to 209 individuals for violating the RMCO — 13 for being involved in activities at pubs and nightclubs, 31 for operating their premises beyond the permissible hours, 50 for being involved in activities which made physical distancing difficult and 115 for other activities in breach of the standard operating procedure (SOP).

 

“Police also arrested two foreigners at an Operasi Benteng roadblock for immigration offences and the armed forces, in particular the 1st Battalion Royal Ranger Regiment, also made two rounds of arrests involving six illegal immigrants, and one local smuggler and two Indonesian smugglers.

 

Ismail Sabri also said business outlets are required to use the MySejahtera application although they are allowed to have additional apps like SELangkah in Selangor.

 

“The MySejahtera is compulsory. The Attorney-General will gazette its use, with exemption given to small towns and rural areas without internet connection, where the manual recording of customers’ particulars is allowed.

 

 

 

Source: BERNAMA News Agency

Action against Sivagangga Cluster premises to be discussed at MKN

PUTRAJAYA, Forms of action that can be taken by local authorities against premises whose owner had violated the mandatory quarantine order at home and opened the restaurant in Napoh, Kedah, should be discussed at the National Security Council (MKN) level.

 

Housing and Local Government Minister Zuraida Kamaruddin said that action at the local authority level should be scrutinised first as matters related to COVID-19 are under the Prevention and Control of Infectious Diseases Act 1988 (Act 342).

 

“Local authority need to be careful because the restaurant has been allowed to operate but whoever manages it that’s a different matter.

 

 

 

“The action should be taken against the restaurant owner who violated the quarantine order, but the premises is a different matter,” she told reporters after attending the Fire and Rescue Department (JBPM) Aidiladha programme here today.

 

Zuraida said this when asked if local authorities could take action such as closing down the restaurant owned by the man, a permanent resident, who was classified as person under investigation (PUI) who violated the mandatory quarantine order at home and subsequently opened his restaurant after returning from India.

 

According to the Ministry of Health, as of noon on Aug 2, a total of 313 people from the Sivagangga PUI Cluster were screened and out of the total, 20 cases tested positive for COVID-19.

 

 

Meanwhile, on the proposal to establish a standard operating procedure related to public sanitation every six months or once a year, Zuraida said that the matter was still under study by JBPM.

 

“Sanitation has also been implemented in all restaurants before they are allowed to resume operation and we will make this a new norm … we are looking at how often they should do this sanitation,” she said.

 

At the programme held at the JBPM headquarters compound, a total of 13 cows were slaughtered in conjunction with Aidiladha celebration and the meat was distributed to 200 asnaf (people eligible to receive tithe or zakat) around Putrajaya.

 

 

Source: BERNAMA News Agency

B40 group students returning from abroad exempted from paying quarantine costs – Ismail Sabri

KUALA LUMPUR, Malaysian students from the B40 group who are returning from abroad and can’t pay the quarantine costs will be exempted from doing so, said Senior Minister (Security Cluster) Datuk Seri Ismail Sabri Yaakob.

 

He said those who were already in the country could appeal to the National Disaster Management Agency (NADMA) while those arriving from now onwards would be sent to the Public Training Institute (ILA), where they will be quarantined for free.

 

This decision was made during the Special Ministerial Meeting on the implementation of the Movement Control Order (MCO) today, he told a media briefing on the Recovery Movement Control Order (RMCO) in Parliament today.

 

 

 

Ismail Sabri said those who were sponsored or took loans or scholarships to study abroad, then the quarantine costs would have to be borne by the sponsors.

 

“Yesterday, there were reports about students returning from Yemen loitering in the hotel area because they could not afford to pay the quarantine costs. So, the meeting today agreed for students from low-income families to be exempted from paying the costs, but those who can afford it must pay themselves,” he said.

 

He urged students who will be returning from abroad to register with the Foreign Ministry by providing personal details and family backgrounds so that the ministry could inform NADMA.

 

 

“So when they arrive in Malaysia, we will already have their names and they will be sent straight to ILA. There’s no need to wait around at hotels, like what happened yesterday,” he said.

 

Ismail Sabri said the government also took a serious view regarding the non-compliance of standard operating procedures (SOPs) for home quarantine as it had led to an increased number of COVID-19 infections among family members and surrounding communities.

 

He said Ministry of Health (MOH) officers and police personnel would conduct spot checks to ensure everyone involved complied with the SOPs.

 

“Yesterday, police carried out 2,160 spot checks and action was taken against 51 individuals for flouting the home quarantine SOPs,” he said.

 

Meanwhile, he said that 4,768 individuals returned home from 26 countries between July 24 and Aug 2, adding that they have all been placed at 19 hotels and five ILAs in Kuala Lumpur, Selangor, Negeri Sembilan, Penang, Johor, Sarawak and Kelantan.

 

The 26 countries were the Philippines, Thailand, Indonesia, Cambodia, Singapore, Vietnam, Brunei, Qatar, Pakistan, Saudi Arabia, Hong Kong, India, the UAE, Japan, Turkey, South Korea, Iran, Bangladesh, Taiwan, China, United Kingdom, Holland, Papua New Guinea, Egypt, Spain and Australia.

 

 

 

Source: BERNAMA News Agency

Civil servant gets 14 years jail, RM70,000 fine for making false claims

IPOH, The Sessions Court here today sentenced a civil servant to a total of 168 months jail and fined a total of RM70,000 after he pleaded guilty to making  claims using forged documents, involving RM75,438.70, in 2014 and 2015.

 

Judge S.Indra Nehru handed down the sentence on Roslan Al Sidek Sulaiman, 40, as assistant accountant (Grade W17) at the mechanical engineering branch of the Perak Works Department.

 

On all the charges, Roslan Al Sidek was charged with dishonestly using as genuine, false documents on delivery orders and invoices, purportedly from Musmar Enterprise, Aladin Emas Enterprise and Mizie Auto Enterprise, to make claims for purchase payments of  petrol, diesel and lubricant (pelincir) at the department between September 2014 and August 2015.

 

 

 

Indra Nehru sentenced him 12 months jail and RM5,000 fine, in default a month’s jail, on each count, with the jail sentences to be served concurrently from today, meaning the man, who has three children, only has to serve 12 years’ jail time and pay fine, totalling RM70,000, in default 14 months’ jail).

 

Earlier, deputy public prosecutor  Azmi Yusuf, from the Malaysian Anti-Corruption Commission (MACC) asked the court to impose an appropriate sentence on Roslan Al Sidek as a lesson to other civil servnats.

 

In mitigation, Roslam Al Sidek, unrepresented, told the court that besides the three children, aged between 11 and 19, and wife, he was also supporting his parents, aged 69 and 73.

 

 

He was arrested on Jan 29 this year.

 

 

 

Source: BERNAMA News Agency

 

Labuan COVID-19 check for new students

LABUAN, The Labuan Health Department is leaving no stone unturned in ensuring that the over 2,000 new students coming to the Labuan Matriculation College here are free from COVID-19.

 

Its director, Dr Ismuni Bohari, said the team from the department will screen the students just like it does all other passengers coming to the island via ferries and through the airport.

 

 

 

“There is no change to our checks. Even people from Labuan or those working and residing on the island who travel out for more than three days are subject to the swab test,” he told Bernama.

 

Three people, two of them students, who returned to the island from mainland Sabah yesterday and today tested positive for COVID-19.

 

Labuan is expected to see the arrival of 2,860 students to the college from mainland Sabah, Sarawak and Peninsular Malaysia between yesterday and Aug 7.

 

 

Labuan Matriculation College director Mohd Idris Omar said 2,014 of the 2, 860 students of the institution are in the new intake.

 

“As of 3 pm today, 413 students have registered (at the college) and all of them tested negative for COVID-19.

 

“We have made early arrangements at the students’ hostels and classrooms. Students from high-risk areas on the mainland or with mild flu will be segregated from the students who are healthy and from no- and low-risk areas,” he said.

 

Sekolah Menengah Sains Labuan principal Mahamad Shukri Said said the registration of students into the school hostels commenced yesterday, involving 207 students (of Forms 1, 2 and 3) from Labuan and mainland Sabah.

 

“Students from Labuan and outside will be segregated as part of our efforts to avoid physical contact between them to check any possible spread of COVID-19 in our school,” he said.

 

Fifty-seven Form Four students and 54 Form Five students from mainland Sabah checked into the hostels since June 23 and July 14, respectively, he said, adding that 21 students from Sarawak will arrive on Aug 15.

 

 

 

Source: BERNAMA News Agency