Home / 2020 / June / 15

Daily Archives: June 15, 2020

RM26 mln credited into Yayasan Akalbudi trustee’s account legally, say witnesses

KUALA LUMPUR Nine bank officers told the High Court here today that 40 monetary transactions totalling RM25,952,770 received by Messrs Lewis & Co as the trustee of Yayasan Akalbudi belonging to Datuk Seri Dr Ahmad Zahid Hamidi via cheques and demand drafts were lawful.

 

The nine witnesses from various banks were Mar Sai Chin, 49; Lina Zailan, 32; Lau Ai Mai, 46; Suzaliza Kamari, 44; Sharifah Shifah Syed Zainol, 56; Mohd Zulkarnain Ab Latiff, 40; G.Jayachantran, 42; Au Lai Ban, 51; and Wong Shiau Phing, 44.

 

They said this during cross-examination by defence counsel Haziq Dhiyauddin Razali who represented the former deputy prime minister, on whether the transactions seemed strange or illegal.

 

 

 

However, another witness, Yusri Md Kasri, 49, also a bank officer, only replied “I do not know” when asked the same question on the 21st day of Ahmad Zahid’s corruption trial.

 

All the witnesses also agreed with the lawyer that the transactions carried out at Maybank, CIMB Bank, RHB Bank, Public Bank and Hong Leong Bank were common procedures in which the information was duly recorded with nothing concealed, and is traceable.

 

During the re-examination by DPP Harris Ong Mohd Jeffery Ong, all the witnesses agreed with his suggestion that their response to the transactions being lawful was based on documents provided in court.

 

 

Earlier, all the witnesses told the court that the cheques had been received from three individuals and six companies, namely, Cergas Murni Sdn Bhd, HRA Teguh Sdn Bhd, MY EG Sdn Bhd, Chia Bee Enterprise Sdn Bhd, Kiosk Solutions Sdn Bhd and MTM Networks Sdn Bhd, between March 29, 2016, and March 26, 2018.

 

Ahmad Zahid, 67, is facing 47 charges, with 12 of them involving criminal breach of trust, eight for corruption and 27 for money laundering.

 

The trial before Judge Collin Lawrence Sequerah continues tomorrow.

 

 

 

Source: BERNAMA News Agency

My30 pass records 10,000 subscribers on day one

KUALA LUMPUR The My30 unlimited travel pass for all public transport services introduced by Prasarana Malaysia Berhad (Prasarana) has, until noon today, recorded 10,000 subscriptions on its first day, said Rapid Rail Sdn Bhd chief executive officer Abdul Hadi Amran.

 

He said that apart from the encouraging response, most of the users today also provided positive feedback regarding the pass.

 

“The My30 package, to temporarily replace the My50 and My100 unlimited travel passes, is valid for six months from June 15 to Dec 31. My30 is for Malaysians only using the MyKad and MyTentera with Touch ‘n Go card function,” he said on Bernama TV’s programme Malaysia Petang Ini (MPI) today.

 

 

 

The My30 initiative offers an unlimited travel pass of RM30 for 30 days for users of the Light Rail Transit (LRT), Mass Rail Transit (MRT), KL Monorail and Rapid KL stage buses in the Klang Valley for all Malaysians from today until the end of this year.

 

Abdul Hadi said that first-time users would need to register and activate their passes at the counter before using them.

 

“For first-time users, they will have to pay RM35 for the My30 pass because it (RM35) is the minimum amount for the pass. This is only for the first time and not for renewal. The RM5 is needed to active the pass function.

 

 

“The My30 will be activated the moment it touches the entrance gate at every station. Its renewal can be done seven days before or after its expiry date.

 

“It (My30) will not affect the existing Touch ‘n Go in your identity card because the code used is different. Counters at the stations can whether your MyKad has Touch ‘n Go facilities or not,” he said.

 

He said that after Dec 31, Prasarana would review the My30 pass to see whether or not to continue with its usage.

 

“Those who subscribe for the pass on Dec 31 will not be refunded but they can use the pass for another 30 days until the end of January 2021,” he said.

 

 

Source: BERNAMA News Agency

 

 

Dengue: 50,511 cases, 88 deaths recorded as of June 13

A total of 50,511 dengue cases and 88 fatalities were recorded in Malaysia from January to June 13, said Health Minister Datuk Seri Dr Adham Baba.

 

He said the total cumulative cases was lower compared to 56,819 cases with 88 fatalities recorded on the same period, last year.

 

“However, the past eight weeks, saw increasing trends with an average of eight per cent a week. Based on the trends, the ministry is expecting the second wave of dengue fever in early June until September 2020,” he said in a statement in conjunction with the 10th ASEAN Dengue Day, here today.

 

 

 

 

Dr Adham said even though Malaysia is facing the COVID-19 pandemic, continuous efforts must be given priority to combat dengue as the number of domestic cases are still high.

 

During the enforcement of the Recovery Movement Control Order (RMCO), the people are urged to continue taking dengue preventive measures while prioritising social distancing, wearing face mask and frequently washing hands with water and soap or using the hand sanitiser.

 

“The (preventive) efforts will be enhanced with the involvement of health agents namely the Communication for Behavioral Impact (Combi) programme volunteers across Malaysia, who will be assisting the ministry to carry out the educational activities on dengue prevention through the new norm approach.

 

 

“As of June 12, there were 2,954 Combi teams with 25,531 volunteers nationwide,” he said.

 

Meanwhile, Dr Adham said the theme of the national level celebration of the ASEAN Dengue Day this year is ‘10 minutes to destroy Aedes’, which was aimed at establishing solid commitment and cooperation from all parties, including the community, departments, government and private agencies to combat the dengue menace together.

 

He added that the message behind the theme was to have the community allocate at least 10 minutes per week to clean their environment and destroy Aedes breeding grounds.

 

Dr Adham also extended his appreciation to all parties for their commitment to address the spread of dengue fever in the country, and hoped that the effort would continue to ensure Malaysians could enjoy quality living, free from dengue fever.

 

ASEAN Dengue Day is celebrated on June 15 every year since its launch in 2011.

 

 

 

Source: BERNAMA News Agency

 

More congregation members allowed to perform prayers at Sarawak mosques, suraus

Beginning tomorrow, the number of congregation members allowed to perform five daily prayers at permitted mosques and suraus in Sarawak has been increased to 80 people from 40 previously, said Sarawak Islamic Council (MIS) secretary Khalidi Ibrahim.

 

He said as for Friday prayers, between 80 and 250 members would be allowed at the mosques and suraus, depending on the their categories or sizes, beginning June 19.

 

“(All congregation members) must adhere to the guidelines set throughout and after the implementation of the Recovery Movement Control Order (RMCO) issued by the Sarawak Islamic Religious Department (JAIS),” he said in a statement here today.

 

 

 

 

Following the new ruling, 80 congregation members are allowed to perform five daily prayers at the Sarawak State Mosque, compared to 40 members previously and up to 250 for Friday prayers, compared to 100 before.

 

Divisional mosques or suraus which previously were allowed to have 40 congregation members for each of the five daily prayers, can now hold the prayers with a congregation of up to 80 people and for Friday prayers, 150 members are allowed from 50 previously.

 

Mosques and suraus in districts/sub-districts are now allowed to hold the five daily prayers and Friday prayers with up to 80 congregation members and a maximum of 125 people respectively.

 

 

For Friday suraus , the number of people in the congregation should not be more than 80 for Friday prayers and 40 for the five daily prayers.

 

Other mosques and suraus in the state were allowed to hold the five daily prayers with a  congregation of  up to 40 people at any one time.

 

Meanwhile, JAIS’ Mosques Development Division in a separate statement said effective today, Muslims are allowed to visit grave sites, subject to the conditions and guidelines set.

 

Among the guidelines are social distancing, using face masks and hand sanitisers as well as limiting the visit to 20 minutes only.

 

 

 

Source: BERNAMA News Agency

TNB summoned to clarify increase in electricity bills

 

TEMERLOH The Ministry of Energy and Natural Resources (KeTSA) has called  Tenaga Nasional Berhad (TNB) to clarify the increase in electricity bills since the implementation of the Movement Control Order (MCO) which has caused public outcry.

 

Minister Datuk Dr Shamsul Anuar Nasarah said KeTSA and the Energy Commission had summoned TNB’s top management led by its chief executive officer Datuk Seri Amir Hamzah Azizan today, which will be followed by another meeting tomorrow.

 

“TNB’s top management is required to present what they have done during this period so that we can see the issues raised as a whole. We will also provide an opportunity for them after listening to complaints and criticism of the people.

 

 

 

“I understand at this point that they (TNB) are fine tuning all the discussions that took place this morning before we go into further detail at tomorrow’s meeting to make the best decision,” he said.

 

Shamsul Anuar said this at a press conference after visiting the National Elephant Conservation Centre, Kuala Gandah, Lanchang, here which was also attended by Department of Wildlife and National Parks (PERHILITAN) director-general Datuk Abdul Kadir Abu Hashim.

 

Asked if TNB would be held liable for making a mistake in the calculation, Shamsul Anuar said: “TNB cannot calculate bills arbitrarily. Whatever it does, it must obtain approval from the Energy Commission as a supervisory body and regulator for the energy industry.

 

 

“Hence, we are confident that the Energy Commission can ensure that this matter is resolved and we will respond to all the issues raised. I understand the public want instant results, but this is an important matter and has to be fully inspected.”

 

In a separate development, Shamsul Anuar said nine eco-tourism locations under the supervision of PERHILITAN have been reopened to tourists in compliance with standard operating procedures (SOP) starting today, after being closed to the public since the MCO came into force on March 18.

 

In addition to the Kuala Gandah Elephant Conservation Centre, among the other locations are the Taman Negara Kuala Tahan and Sungai Relau in Pahang, Taman Negara Kuala Koh, Kelantan; Taman Negara Tanjong Mentong, Terengganu and Paya Indah Wetlands ini Dengkil, Selangor.

 

 

Source: BERNAMA News Agency

 

 

Negeri Sembilan reopens state park, forest eco parks

The state park and all forest eco parks in Negeri Sembilan except the Batu Maloi forest eco park, have been reopened beginning today.

 

However, Negeri Sembilan Menteri Besar Datuk Seri Aminuddin Harun in a posting through his Facebook page said, only a maximum of 20 people are allowed at any one time for each visit.

 

“Activities that are allowed to be carried out are general recreation activities, camping (individual and family), forestry gallery visits, jungle trekking, hiking and research works,” he said.

 

 

 

Aminuddin stressed that the public must adhere to all standard operating procedures set by the Negeri Sembilan Forestry Department.

 

The public can purchase permits to carry out the activities at the state or district Forest offices every Monday to Friday from 8.30 am to 4 pm.

 

 

 

Source: BERNAMA News Agency

 

 

COVID-19: Youths affected by COVID-19 can pursue high-value agriculture at IKLBS

KUALA LUMPUR The Ministry of Youth and Sports (KBS) plans to expand opportunities for youths affected by the COVID-19 pandemic to pursue high-value agriculture at selected Skills Training Institute of Youth and Sports (ILKBS).

 

In a statement today, its Minister Datuk Seri Reezal Merican Naina Merican said KBS is also ready to assist the youths to utilise the northern zone food processing hub facilities located at the National Youth Skills Institute (IKBN) in Naka, Kedah.

 

“This is among the KBS initiatives through cross-ministry collaboration which would benefit over 10 million youths or 68 per cent of the manpower affected by the COVID-19 pandemic crisis.

 

 

 

“Previously, KBS has visited the Human Resources Ministry, Entrepreneur Development and Cooperatives Ministry and the Federal Territories Ministry. This afternoon, the cross-ministry collaboration series has been extended with a visit to the Ministry of Agriculture and Food Industries (MAFI) to boost youth aspirations and synergies through KBS-MAFI strategic cooperation,” he said.

 

He said the discussion held with MAFI minister, Datuk Seri Ronald Kiandee, focused on initiatives that will cater the interests and needs of the youth as well as adapting new technologies in the economic supply chain in the agriculture and food industry sectors.

 

“Existing programmes such as the Young Agropreneur programme which has been a hot-selling product among youths will be given a facelift with the active involvement of KBS… the future of agriculture will be based on technology and we collectively agreed that this is the way forward.

 

 

“Also, KBS and MAFI are collaborating on refining several ‘quick win’ programmes at the officer level which will be announced soon for the benefit of the youths. This will include those which have been announced in PENJANA which will be re-packaged as a more fashionable way to maximise youth involvement,” the statement said.

 

 

Source: BERNAMA News Agency