Home / 2020 / June / 06

Daily Archives: June 6, 2020

CMCO: 84 mosques in Pahang allowed to hold Subuh, Friday prayers

KUANTAN The Pahang Islamic Religious and Malay Customs Council (MUIP) today announced that a total of 84 mosques in the state have been allowed to hold the Friday prayers and the congregational Subuh (morning) prayers during the Conditional Movement Control Order (CMCO) period.

 

Its deputy president, Tengku Panglima Raja Tengku Amir Nasser Ibrahim Shah Al-Sultan Abdullah Ri’ayatuddin Al-Mustafa Billah Shah said the permission took effect yesterday and on the requirement that the mosques concerned adhered to the stipulated standard operating procedure (SOP).

 

In a statement issued here today, Tengku Amir said there are 13 category B district mosques in Pahang, comprising two in Kuantan, Pekan, Temerloh and Bentong and the other five in Jerantut, Bera, Raub, Lipis and Jengka.

 

 

 

Kuantan has the most number of  “kariah” mosques (mosques that are allowed to hold Friday prayers), totalling seven, followed by six each in Rompin and Lipis, and five each in Pekan, Maran, Temerloh, Bera, Jerantut, Bentong, Raub, Muadzam Shah, Chenor and Jengka.

 

Apart from that, two kariah mosques in the Cameron Highlands, namely Masjid Kayangan Brinchang and Masjid Kuala Boh, are also allowed to hold the Subuh and Friday prayers.

 

Source: BERNAMA News Agency

FT night, morning markets allowed to operate from June 15

PUTRAJAYA All open, morning and night markets as well as bazaars, in the Federal Territories will be allowed to operate beginning June 15, on condition the Health Ministry’s standard operating procedures (SOPs) are adhered to.

 

Senior Minister (Security Cluster) Datuk Seri Ismail Sabri Yaakob said the operating hours for open and morning markets would be from 6am – 11am, night markets (4pm-10pm) and bazaars (5pm – 11pm).

 

“The SOP for stall spacing stipulates that booths must be positioned 1.5 metres to two metres apart, in an open space fenced area, to allow one-way traffic flow control.

“The markets include those which were allowed take-away orders only,” he said adding that traders must wear protective clothings, gloves and facemask.

 

He said this at a press conference following the Special Ministerial Meeting on the Conditional Movement Control Order (CMCO) here today.

 

At the same time, traders and shoppers are required to download and use the MySejahtera application and Kuala Lumpur City Hall will have the right to shut down business premises if the SOPs are not followed.

 

 

Ismail Sabri said the SOPs could also be adopted by the local authorities for markets across the country.

 

Meanwhile, he said 21 individuals were detained and remanded yesterday for violating the CMCO directives.

 

He said compound notices were issued  to 277 individuals for various CMCO offences but no one was compounded for going against the Aidilfitri visiting rule.

 

A total of 32 vehicles that attempted to travel across state lines without permission, were ordered to turn back, and such cross-border attempts were mostly recorded in Selangor, Pahang, Negeri Sembilan and Melaka.

 

Source: BERNAMA News Agency

 

MACC denies claims of intimidation made by Syed Saddiq’s aide

KUALA LUMPUR The Malaysian Anti-Corruption Commission (MACC) has denied claims that an honorary secretary of a youth club was intimidated to give a statement during a probe over missing cash from former Youth and Sports minister Syed Saddiq Syed Abdul Rahman’s house.

 

The agency’s investigation director Datuk Norazlan Mohd Razali strongly said the allegations made by Siti Nurul Hidayah Shaziman who claimed that she had been threatened, verbally abused and forced to give a statement was groundless.

 

Norazlan said the commission will not tolerate or be intimidated by any threats from any party because the agency has evidence that these allegations were not true.

 

 

 

“Her claims that she was surrounded by four or five male officers during questioning and was threatened is not true, on the contrary throughout the process of recording the statement, she was accompanied by two female officers.

 

“She came voluntarily and is one of the main witnesses to provide important evidence in helping the MACC investigate this case,” he told Bernama today.

 

“She came voluntarily and is one of the main witnesses to provide important evidence in helping the MACC investigate this case,” he told Bernama today.

 

 

Investigations are being carried out into the missing RM250,000 in a safe box from the former minister’s house.

 

Norazlan said the MACC would lodge a police report on the allegations against the agency.

 

“The MACC is willing to give full cooperation to the police on this matter,” he added.

 

Yesterday, Siti Nurul, who was also Syed Saddiq’s aide issued a statement over being mistreated by the MACC in a video posted on a local portal.

 

 

Source: BERNAMA News Agency

Cops detain 46 at PJ entertainment centre

 

KUALA LUMPUR Police last night arrested 46 patrons of an entertainment centre in Kota Damansara, near here, for defying the Conditional Movement Control Order (CMCO).

 

Petaling Jaya district police chief ACP Nik Ezanee Mohd Faisal said police detained the individuals aged between 18 and 47 in a raid at 8.45 pm.

 

One of those arrested was a 47-year-old man who was found to have employed foreigners without work permits, while RM3,550 in cash was seized from the premises.

 

 

 

“Eight foreigners aged 21-38, suspected of being employed there, were also found to have abused their social visit passes,” he said in a statement here today.

 

Meanwhile, Nik Ezanee said in an Op Mabuk operation in Petaling Jaya early today, four men aged between 25-54 were arrested for driving under the influence.

 

Eight others were also issued summonses for various road offences, he said.

 

Source: BERNAMA News Agency

 

COVID-19: Librarians continue providing access to information – Nancy

KUALA LUMPUR The roles of libraries and librarians remain relevant despite the limited public movement during the Conditional Movement Control Order (CMCO), said Tourism, Arts and Culture Minister Datuk Seri Nancy Shukri.

 

Nancy, in a five-minute video posted in conjunction with the National Librarians’ Day 2020 celebration today, said librarians and libraries have played an active role in ensuring that Malaysians’ access to information and reading materials continue uninterrupted.

 

“Since March 18, all types of libraries have provided various initiatives for all walks of life such as online services, COVID-19 database development, free online reading materials and local content provision.

 

 

 

“I was also made to understand that there were those who were involved in the production of personal protective equipment (PPE) and those who collaborated with reading materials providers to open research database to enable researchers to gain access to COVID-19-related materials,” she said in a video posted on the Librarians Association of Malaysia Facebook page today.

 

As such, Nancy said themes of  #tetaprelevan and #stayingrelevant were aptly chosen for this year’s celebration to highlight the librarians’ ongoing role in keeping with current development needs.

 

“With management skills and knowledge as well as access to polar data in hand, Malaysian librarians are capable and ready to move seamlessly to keep up with the times.

 

 

“Learn, unlearn and relearn, upskill, upgrade your skills and methods to stay relevant in whatever changes that are taking place in the world,” she said.

 

Nancy said librarians at the National Library, public libraries, academic libraries, specialised libraries and resource centre at schools have contributed greatly to creating a knowledge-based Malaysian society.

 

“Your (librarians) efforts have all played a part in shaping a knowledgeable and visionary society. This will help towards the national development.

 

“Happy Librarians’ Day and stay relevant in all circumstances,” she said.

 

Source: BERNAMA News Agency

 

No baby kidnapping case in Gombak, say police

KUALA LUMPUR Police have dismissed viral reports of a 12-month-old baby being kidnapped at Batu 7, Jalan Gombak near here.

 

Gombak district police chief ACP Arifai Tarawe said a similar piece of fake news about a kidnapping case in Kluang had been spread on social media in January last year but had been denied by the district police.

 

The public should not share any reports without first verifying their authenticity, he said in a statement today.

 

 

 

Arifai said that under Section 233 (3) of the Communications and Multimedia Act 1998, action could be taken against anyone disseminating false statements.

 

A screenshot of a message claiming that a 12-month-old baby had been kidnapped by individuals in a red Proton Satria at Batu 7 had gone viral on social media.

 

 

Source: BERNAMA News Agency