Home / 2020 / May / 20

Daily Archives: May 20, 2020

Call for B40 households, OKU to apply for free myFreeview decoders

B40 households and people with disabilities (OKU) who have yet to receive their myFreeview decoders are encouraged to apply from now until May 31, said the Communications and Multimedia Commission (MCMC).

 

MCMC said those interested to get the decoders can check their eligibility and fill up the application form at www.mytvbroadcasting.my/B40 or call MYTV Careline at 1800-18-1088/1-300-80-6988 to ease the distribution process.

 

“Any application made after May 31 will not be processed,” it said in a statement today.

 

 

MCMC said the initiative of providing additional myFreeview decoders were to ensure no one was left behind in getting easy access to information and entertainment through the free and quality digital TV broadcast.

 

“The government, through the MCMC has allocated an additional 300,000 decoders to B40 households and OKU across the country,” it said.

 

MCMC said it was in addition to the two million free decoders previously allocated by MYTV and the cost of these decoders were fully borne by the government.

 

 

After the May 31 deadline, the MCMC will be reviewing the eligibility of new applicants and the decoders will be delivered to the recipients via courier service in stages beginning June.

 

“Ground deliveries to groups will only be considered upon receiving permission from the relevant authorities,” it said.

 

MyFreeview is a digital TV platform with no monthly fees, featuring 15 high definition channels and six radio channels.

 

 

Source: BERNAMA News Agency

 

COVID-19: Maintain SOP compliance to avoid ‘Raya Cluster’ – Dr Adham

PUTRAJAYA A COVID-19 ‘Raya Cluster’ can be avoided if Muslims follow standard operating procedures (SOP) issued by the Health Ministry while celebrating Aidilfitri, said its minister Datuk Seri Dr Adham Baba.

 

He said among the SOPs were to stay at home, practice social distancing including while having conversations, maintain good personal hygiene by frequently washing hands and sanitise the house especially surfaces that are often touched by people.

 

“We are looking at transmission trends when there are mass gatherings or movement in a certain place as this may trigger the spread of the COVID-19 because the virus can’t be seen,” he said when asked on concerns of the emergence of a ‘Raya Cluster’ during the upcoming Aidilfitri celebration.

 

 

Dr Adham was speaking to reporters after presenting the Clinical Research Malaysia (CRM) Sponsored Research Award to five recipients in conjunction with the World Clinical Trials Day, here today.

 

He added that everyone must play their role in protecting their families and the communities, including when travelling between districts, and even if they were in green zones.

 

 

Source: BERNAMA News Agency

MM2H: No automatic approval for participants – Ismail Sabri

PUTRAJAYA There will be no automatic approval for Malaysia My Second Home (MM2H) participants who wish to return to the country despite the Cabinet’s recent decision to allow them to do so beginning May 17, said Senior Minister (Security Cluster) Datuk Seri Ismail Sabri Yaakob.

 

He said this as the participants must submit their application first before they will be looked at and checked by the Ministry of Health (MOH), National Security Council (MKN) and Ministry of Tourism Arts and Culture (MOTAC).

 

“We will check which countries they are from, whether from high-risk nations or otherwise. Decision whether they will be allowed to return or otherwise will be determined then. It is not automatic.

 

 

“They (MOH, MKN, MOTAC) will screen the application first,” he said in a daily press conference today.

 

On Saturday, the government has allowed for MM2H participants to return here, however, each participant must undergo health checks and be declared free of COVID-19 before they are allowed to fly back to Malaysia.

 

The participants were also required to comply with all the rules set out including to undergo health screening, compulsory 14-day quarantine and that the quarantine costs must be borne by participants themselves, he said.

 

 

Earlier, in a related development, Immigration director-general Datuk Khairul Dzaimee Daud said in line with the Cabinet’s decision to allow MM2H participants to return to the country, his department had put in place several procedures to ensure their entry was smooth and in an orderly manner.

 

Khairul Dzaimee, in a statement, said among the procedures include the approval would only be granted to those who have registered with MOTAC and permission would also be subject to inspection and compliance with the Immigration Department’s entry requirements.

 

The participants are also required to undergo a swab test in their country of origin and the test result has to be negative and to submit a declaration letter stating that the cost of the quarantine to be borne by them.

 

“For more information visit www.imi.gov.my and the Immigration Department official Facebook account or call Hotline 03-8888 2010 for any questions,” he said.

 

 

 

Source: BERNAMA News Agency

 

LZS Contributes 2,000 PPE sets to Selangor Health Dept

SHAH ALAM The Selangor Zakat Board (LZS) today handed over personal protective equipment (PPE) contributions to front liners of the state Health Department (JKNS).

 

The contribution comprising 2,000 sets of PPE was presented by Selangor Islamic Religious Council (MAIS) chairman Datuk Mohammed Khusrin Munawi to the Selangor Health Director Datuk Sha’ari Ngadiman and witnessed by LZS chief executive officer Saipolyazan M. Yusop.

 

The PPE worth RM100,000 was produced by LZS with assistance from lecturers and students of the Management and Science University (MSU).

 

 

Mohammad Khusrin said besides the PPE, three ventilators and other medical equipment have been distributed to hospitals and health facilities across the state.

 

Meanwhile, Dr Sha’ari said to date, JKNS has enough PPE supply for the next two months.

 

“PPE contributions by various parties have helped us a lot and can be distributed to all state health facilities because we have been using 1,500 sets of PPE everyday in fighting the virus transmission,” he said.

 

 

Source: BERNAMA News Agency

 

Samarahan Division now green zone, zero COVID-19 positive cases

 

KUCHING Samarahan Division has now changed its status from yellow zone to green zone, after no Covid-19 positive cases were reported in the last 14 days.

 

Deputy Chief Minister and Sarawak Disaster Management Committee (JPBN) chairman, Datuk Amar Douglas Uggah Embas said, so far 35 districts have been designated as green zones while five others as yellow zones.

 

In the meantime, Uggah said the Special Action Team (Contact Tracing) headed by Dr Jamilah Hashim, who was former Sarawak Health director, had detected 2,554 close contacts of COVID-19 positive cases.

 

 

“Of these, 86 per cent have been able to be reached and after screening, 16 of them tested positive,” he said at the daily JPBN press conference at the Old State Assembly hall here today.

 

Today is the seventh day Sarawak has not recorded any COVID-19 positive cases and the number of positive cases remain at 544 while the death toll remains at 17.

 

 

Source: BERNAMA News Agency

 

Decision on calling Isa Samad to enter his defence on June 16

 

KUALA LUMPUR The decision on whether former Felda chairman Tan Sri Mohd Isa Abdul Samad will be called to enter his defence or be freed from the charges of criminal breach of trust (CBT) and corruption amounting to RM3 million will be known on June 16.

 

The date was set by High Court Judge, Mohd Nazlan Mohd Ghazali after hearing arguments by deputy public prosecutor, Afzainizam Abdul Aziz and counsel Datuk Salehuddin Saidin, who is representing Mohd Isa.

 

On Jan 14 , the prosecution closed its case after 15 days of hearing with 22 witnesses called to testify.

 

 

On  Dec 14 2018, Mohd Isa, 71, pleaded not guilty to one charge of criminal breach of trust and nine counts of receiving bribes totalling RM3 million for approving the purchase of Merdeka Palace Hotel & Suites (MPHS) in Kuching, by Felda Investment Corporation Sdn Bhd (FICSB).

 

He was accused of committing the CBT at Level 50, Menara Felda, Platinum Park, Persiaran KLCC here, on April 29, 2014 under Section 409 of the Penal Code which provides for imprisonment up to 20 years, whipping and fine, if found guilty.

 

All the bribery offences were allegedly committed at Level 49, Menara Felda, Platinum Park, Persiaran KLCC near here between April 29 2014 and Dec 15 2015.

 

 

Earlier, Afzainizam in his argument numbering more than 600 pages said the important element presented by the prosecution was that Mohd Isa abused his position as Felda chairman by exceeding the stipulated investment mandate.

 

He said Mohd Isa also exceeded the mandate set by Felda as each project exceeding RM100 million should obtain the approval of the Felda Board of Directors.

 

He said the 15th prosecution witness, former FICSB chief executive officer, Mohd Zaid Abdul Jalil had advised the accused on the mandate, but the accused told him (Mohd Zaid) that the deal need not be brought to Felda Board of Directors.

 

On the argument of the counsel which denied Mohd Isa received the money (RM3 million), Afzainizam said it was gratification.

 

“Nobody wants to leave trails, so it explains the nine transactions…there is no proof of receipts,  no records, all these are based on trust. SP16 (former managing director of Gegasan Abadi Properties Sdn Bhd Ikhwan Zaidel) trusted SP21 (former special officer to Mohd Isa, Muhammad Zahid Md Arip) similarly the accused trusted SP21.. this is important because he has to make sure the least among of people knew about this… only three persons knew (about the bribes) namely, the accused, Zahid and SP16,” he said.

 

Salehuddin argued that Muhammad Zahid is not a credible witness as his statement on how he received the money from ikhwan is not reasonable as there were no records of when the money was received.

 

“His answer is just ‘copy paste’ (giving the same answers when asked), this case is very said as it was based on baseless statements. I would say the charges were made up,” he said.

 

Salehuddin also said when Muhammad Zahid was giving his statement in court, he also mentioned three dates for handing over the money to Mohd Isa which were different from his statement in court and during the case investigation.

 

 

Source: BERNAMA News Agency

Scheduled Labuan-Menumbok-Labuan passenger boat services resume operation today

LABUAN The passenger boat services for Labuan-Menumbok route which have been suspended following the implementation of the Movement Control Order (MCO) on March 18, resumed operations today but only limited to scheduled boats.

 

Bernama’s check at the Labuan International Ferry Terminal this morning found that passengers observed social distancing while boarding the 36-seater and 40-seater capacity boats to Menumbok.

 

Terminal management company, LDA Holdings Sdn Bhd chief operating officer Eddy Herman said the Labuan Marine Department and the Sabah Ports and Harbour Department had given the approval for the services to resume operations.

 

 

He said the approved route was only for Labuan-Menumbok-Labuan while other destinations to Sipitang, Sabah and Limbang, Sarawak are still not allowed to operate.

 

“Permission has been granted for large boats only, not the 14-seater passenger speed boats,” he told Bernama.

 

Eddy said the speed boat operators have been instructed to ferry only half the capacity and to comply with the Ministry of Health’s standard operating procedure (SOP) for the sea transport service.

 

 

“All passengers are required to undergo health screening both at the Labuan ferry terminal and upon arrival at the Menumbok jetty,” he said.

 

On May 9, the Sabah state government allowed retail, food, public transport and public parks to reopen as it began to ease economic activities under Phase 5 of the MCO.

 

All types of public and logistics land and sea transportation services including buses, e-hailing services, public and private jetties, ferries, boats for hire, as well as supporting services were also allowed to reopen.

 

 

Source: BERNAMA News Agency