Home / 2020 / May / 17

Daily Archives: May 17, 2020

Use internet wisely to avoid being cheated – Saifuddin

KUALA LUMPUR The internet must be used wisely and positively based on security, vigilance and responsibility that emphasise self-regulation in curbing internet abuse.

 

Communications and Multimedia Minister Datuk Saifuddin Abdullah said although the internet could expand knowledge and facilitate communication with anyone from all over the world and enable online transactions at the fingertips, it should be used with caution.

 

“We must be careful and responsible in using the internet to avoid being victims of fraud and cyber bullying and to avoid spreading fake news that will endanger the country’s harmony.

 

 

“Click wisely, not sure, don’t share.” he said in his speech in conjunction with World Telecommunication and Information Society Day today which was aired on his social site.

 

WTISD is celebrated on May 17 each year in conjunction with the anniversary of the establishment of the International Telecommunication Union (ITU) under the United Nations (UN).

 

He said the government through the Ministry of Communications and Multimedia (KKMM) had implemented various initiatives to strengthen the country’s telecommunications infrastructure to ensure that the society was always connected, informed and ‘no one would be left behind’.

 

 

He said among the key government initiatives is the National Fiberisation and Connectivity Plan (NFCP), aimed at providing sustainable, comprehensive, high quality and affordable digital connectivity for the well-being of the people and the nation’s development.

 

“With effective telecommunications infrastructure such as the internet, driven by the ability of smart ICT applications, will surely make our day-to-day activities easier, faster and more productive which will ultimately improve the country’s socio-economic quality,” he said.

 

This year, the theme of the WTISD celebration, organised by ITU, was ‘Connect 2030: ICT for Sustainable Development Goals’ which focused on the development and emergence of new ICT trends as catalysts for smart and sustainable development as well as nurturing economic, environmental and social development that were capable of contributing to the five strategic goals of the Connect 2030 agenda, namely, growth, inclusion, sustainability, innovation and partnerships.

 

 

 

Source: BERNAMA News Agency

Almost 30,000 inter-district travel applications in S’wak

KUCHING The State Disaster Management Committee (SDMC) said there have been 26,992 inter-district travel applications in Sarawak so far under the Conditional Movement Control Order (CMCO).

 

SDMC, in a statement, said the travel permit applications were received at 28 police headquarters across the state.

 

“Of the total, 25,237 applications were approved while the remaining 1,755 were rejected,” the statement read.

 

 

On a separate development, SDMC said a total of 27,740 notifications on the opening of the economic sectors were received.

 

Of the total, 20,240 were direct online notifications while 7,500 were via email, it said.

 

Also, there were no positive COVID-19 cases reported overnight and the state tally remains at 544 cases, while four patients have recovered and discharged from the hospital, the statement read.

 

 

Source: BERNAMA News Agency

 

 

COVID-19: 22 positive cases today, third lowest since MCO started – Health DG

 

PUTRAJAYA A total of 22 positive COVID-19 cases were recorded today, the third lowest since the Movement Control Order (MCO) came into force on March 18.

 

Prior to this, the second lowest number of positive cases was recorded yesterday with 17 cases while the lowest was achieved on May 12, with 16 cases.

 

Health Ministry (MOH) director-general Datuk Dr Noor Hisham Abdullah said out of the 22 new cases today, five were imported cases while 17 more were local transmissions involving non-Malaysians.

 

 

“This brings the total number of COVID-19 positive cases in the country to 6,894 while the number of active infectivity cases is 1,210,” he said at the daily media conference on COVID-19 here today.

 

Dr Noor Hisham said there were 59 recoveries reported today, bringing the total number of those have fully recovered and discharged to 5,571 cases.

 

Dr Noor Hisham said there were no COVID-19 related deaths recorded, and the death toll in Malaysia remains at 113 cases.

 

 

He said 13 COVID-19 patients were being treated in the intensive care unit (ICU) with seven requiring ventilators.

 

Meanwhile, Dr Noor Hisham said the number of positive cases linked to inter-state travel, is very alarming, especially when they continued to occur even with the Conditional MCO (CMCO) enforced.

 

“To date, a total of 917 COVID-19 positive cases (14.1 per cent) from the total cases (6,894) have a history of inter-state travel.

 

“Malaysia had previously recorded 49 clusters in total, of which 18 of them were linked to inter-state travel. Ten clusters (inter-state) are still active,” he said.

 

In this regard, Dr Noor Hisham advised the public to be alert during the upcoming festive season as this could be a catalyst for the spread of COVID-19 infection to areas which have been categorised as green zone.

 

 

Source: BERNAMA News Agency

 

 

Cops warn Kuala T’ganu folk to stop loitering in public areas

KUALA TERENGGANU Terengganu police have reminded the public not to violate the Conditional Movement Control Order (CMCO) by gathering at public places to break their fast and loiter.

 

Terengganu police chief Datuk Roslee Chik said at this stage a fine of RM1,000 would be imposed on those violating the order by visiting public areas such as the Batu Burok beach, Syahbandar Square, Pesisir Payang and the open space near the drawbridge.

 

“For this initial stage, only a compound will be issued as we did during the second MCO.  But if the public remains adamant, we will detain, remand and charge them in court,” he said when contacted today.

 

 

Recently an image of rubbish and food strewn across the open area on the north side of the drawbridge went viral on social media.

 

Meanwhile, Kuala Terengganu Mayor Shahidan Embok said he received complaints that members of the public had been thronging the Batu Burok public park at night.

 

Following this, the Kuala Terengganu City Council has taken measures to prevent the public from gathering at the area by monitoring and closing the park at 10 pm.

 

 

Source: BERNAMA News Agency

COVID-19: 682 new cases add Singapore’s tally to 28,038

 

SINGAPORE Singapore has confirmed 682 new COVID-19 cases, with only four cases involved Singaporeans or permanent residents.

 

The preliminary data as at noon today brings the tally for the republic to 28,038.

 

The republic’s Ministry of Health (MOH), in a statement, attributed the vast majority of the cases to work permit holders residing in foreign worker dormitories.

 

 

The ministry said it was still working through the details of the cases and would provide an update later in the day.

 

Singapore has so far classified 1,306 as community cases, 580 as imported cases, 361 cases involving foreign workers staying outside dorms and 25,109 cases of foreign workers residing in dorms.

 

 

Source: BERNAMA News Agency

 

Easygoing personality endears new Kedah MB to many

ALOR SETAR His easy-going and modest personality has endeared the new Kedah Menteri Besar Muhammad Sanusi Md Nor to many.

 

However, the 46-year-old Muhammad Sanusi is also known to have voiced his views strongly especially in his role as the opposition leader in the Kedah state assembly.

 

Born on Aug 4, 1974, Muhammad Sanusi, who is also Jeneri assemblyman, received his early education in several schools in the state from 1981 to 1993, including Sekolah Kebangsaan Batu 5, Sik; Sekolah Menengah Kebangsaan (SMK) Sains Sultan Mohamad Jiwa, Sungai Petani; SMK Sik, Sik and SMK Derma, Kangar before furthering his studies at Universiti Sains Malaysia, Penang.

 

 

He started his career as Penang Consumer Association (CAP) education officer in 1998 and held several other positions until he was appointed as political secretary to the Kedah 10th Menteri Besar Tan Sri Ustaz Azizan Abdul Razak from 2008 to 2013.

 

His political career began in 1998 when he was named Penang PAS Youth exco and held various positions in the party at the state and central levels including Sik PAS Youth Council chairperson; Kedah PAS Youth chief, Kedah PAS Information chief and PAS Central Youth Council exco.

 

Muhammad Sanusi is also Kedah PAS deputy commissioner, a post he held since 2015, as well as Central PAS Working Committee member and election director and PASRelief chairman.

 

 

He began contesting in the 12th General Election for the Belantik state seat, but lost to Barisan Nasional (BN) candidate Datuk Mohd Tajudin Abdullah by 252 votes.

 

In the 14th general election, Muhammad Sanusi contested for Jeneri state seat and defeated two other candidates, namely, Mahadzir Abdul Hamid (BN-UMNO) and Mohd Nazri Abu Hassan (PH-Bersatu) with a 2,455 vote-majority.

 

Muhammad Sanusi who has five children, aged six to 20, has participated in many international humanitarian delegations including leading the PAS aid missions to Myanmar, Bangladesh, Jordan, Lebanon and Yemen.

 

 

Source: BERNAMA News Agency

 

Probe on five Johor chicken wholesalers over sudden price hike

JOHOR BAHRU Five leading chicken wholesalers in the state are being investigated in relation to the sudden increase of chicken price in Johor.

 

Johor Ministry of Domestic Trade and Consumer Affairs (KPDNHEP) in a statement, today, said investigations were also conducted on three poultry farms, following complaints on statewide chicken price increase, sparking concerns from consumers who will be celebrating Aidilfitri next week.

 

“Following the information received, Johor KPDNHEP conducted spot checks on retail premises selling chickens at higher prices.

 

 

“About 71 inspections were conducted especially on stalls at public markets and notices were issued to 37 retailers,” it said.

 

According to the ministry, errant traders are liable to a fine of RM100,000 or three years imprisonment or both, upon conviction under the Price Control and Anti-Profiteering Act 2011.

 

Corporate organisations could be fined not exceeding RM500,000 for first offence and not exceeding RM1 million for the second offence.

 

 

 

Source: BERNAMA News Agency