Home / 2020 / May / 09

Daily Archives: May 9, 2020

COVID-19 fund raises RM40.2 million as of May 7 – Ismail Sabri

PUTRAJAYA The COVID-19 Fund launched on March 11 has received RM40.2 million in donations from various quarters as of May 7, Senior Minister (Security Cluster) Datuk Seri Ismail Sabri Yaakob announced.

He said most of the donations would be channelled to the people directly affected by the COVID-19 pandemic, namely through the Special Aid for Loss of Income and Compassionate Aid Upon Death.

At his daily press conference here today,  Ismail Sabri explained that the Special Aid for Loss of Income will be given to patients who were being treated for COVID-19 or the patients’ close contacts who were under monitoring and surveillance.

“Those eligible to apply for the aid are Malaysian citizens who have lost their income while being placed under monitoring and surveillance or quarantine as compelled by the Ministry of Health (MOH),” he said.

Also eligible to apply are workers who lost their source of income or being denied salary while receiving treatment for COVID-19 at hospital wards. They will also receive RM100 a day for the 14-day quarantine period.

However, those who were staying at home due to the Movement Control Order are not eligible to receive the aid.

Ismail Sabri said 94 individuals had received the Special Aid for Loss of Income,  totalling RM125,700, so far.

For Compassionate Aid Upon Death, a one-off aid of RM5,000 would be given to the family of the patient who died due to COVID-19, and based on records, 71 families have received the aid, totalling RM355,000, so far.

Meanwhile, the minister said a sum of RM25.2 million has been channelled to the Women, Family and Community Development Ministry through the National Welfare Foundation, to also help the people affected by the pandemic.

The Perikatan Nasional (PN) government had, on March 11, launched the special fund which will give financial aid to those directly affected by the COVID-19 infection.

Prime Minister Tan Sri Muhyiddin Yassin said for a start, RM1 million had been channelled into the fund to help COVID-19 patients and those under 14-day quarantine but not holding any jobs.

Source: BERNAMA News Agency

COVID-19: 753 new cases in Singapore, tally surpasses 22,000 mark

SINGAPORE Singapore, which yesterday reported 328 more cases of recovery from COVID-19, today confirmed 753 new positive cases, bringing the infection tally to 22,460.

Its Ministry of Health (MOH) said the preliminary data as at noon today showed that only nine cases involved Singaporeans or permanent residents while the rest were foreign workers at dormitories.

In a statement here, the ministry said it is still working on the details of the cases and would provide an update later in the day.

Singapore, which is ramping up coronavirus testing to 40,000 a day, has so far classified 1,272 as community cases, 579 as imported cases and 624 as cases involving foreign workers outside dorms.

Foreign workers at dorms, meanwhile, dominated Friday’s tally of 21,707, taking about 88.5 per cent or 19,232 cases, according to detailed data issued late yesterday.

The republic also identified five new clusters yesterday while its largest cluster S11 Dormitory @ Punggol has 2,535 confirmed cases.

So far 2,040 patients have been discharged from hospitals or community care facilities while 1,245 cases remain hospitalised with 22 in critical condition in the intensive care unit.

The ministry said 18,402 cases who have mild symptoms, or clinically well but still test positive for COVID-19, have been isolated and cared for at community facilities. 

Twenty people have died from complications due to COVID-19 infections here, mostly the elderly.

Singapore is progressively testing all 16,000 nursing home residents and expects to complete it by early June.

Source: BERNAMA News Agency

UTeM, KUIM sent home 181 students last night

MELAKA Universiti Teknikal Malaysia Melaka (UTeM) and Kolej Universiti Islam Melaka (KUIM) sent home 181 students from various institutions of higher learning (IPTs) to Perak, last night.

UTeM Vice-Chancellor Prof Datuk Dr Raha Abdul Rahim said the university had sent 131 students including 127 from the university, the rest were from Universiti Tun Hussein Onn Malaysia, Universiti Perguruan Sultan Idris, Universiti Malaysia Kelantan and the Ibrahim Sultan Polytechnic.

“Students departed from UTeM’s main campus in Durian Tunggal at 9.00 pm last night, to destinations around Perak namely Tanjung Malim, Tapah, Hilir Perak, Kuala Kangsar, Gerik, Taiping, Kerian, Manjung and Perak Tengah in 10 buses and one van,” he said in a statement today.

He said UTeM had completed four student repatriation operations in stages involving the southern zone, central zone, Sarawak and east zone.

KUIM vice-chancellor, Prof Datuk Dr Mohd Taib Dora said KUIM had sent 50 students from several state IPTs, namely seven from KUIM and the rest from Universiti Teknologi Mara Jasin, Manipal College, Politeknik Merlimau and Multimedia University to the same area at 9.30 pm last night.

“Ten officials were appointed to accompany the students to the 10 district police headquarters involved besides ensuring that the buses and students complied with the standard operating procedures set by the National Security Council and the Health Ministry,” he said.

Students are advised to keep in touch with their professors and work on their final assignments in lieu of the semester-end exams which was scheduled for March 16 to April 10, he said.

Source: BERNAMA News Agency

MASwings aircraft skids on landing, no one hurt

SIBU A MASwings aircraft Twin Otter (DHC6) was reported to have skidded off the runway during a landing roll at Long Seridan Airport in Miri division today.

MASwings, in a statement here, confirmed the incident occurred at about 10.05 am.

Two passengers and two operating crews on board the MH3622 flight from Marudi disembarked unhurt.

The airline’s immediate priority was the safety and well-being of the passengers and crew, it said.

It is now working closely with the authorities investigating the incident.

Source: BERNAMA News Agency

Three premises ordered shut after detection of COVID-19 – Ismail Sabri

PUTRAJAYA Three premises have been temporarily ordered shut since the Conditional Movement Control Order (CMCO) came into force after some workers there were found to have contracted COVID-19.

Senior Minister (Security Cluster) Datuk Seri Ismail Sabri Yaakob said the three premises involve a chicken processing factory in Negeri Sembilan, a supermarket in Selangor and a construction site in Jalan Ampang, Kuala Lumpur.

“If there are COVID-19 cases among employees and the Health Ministry (MOH) feels there is a need to close the premises, then the government will order it shut down.

“We will then conduct screenings on all workers after which we will sanitise the premises,” he said at the daily briefing on the CMCO today.

Ismail Sabri the task force on compliance operations, led by the police, conducted 46,086 checks nationwide yesterday to monitor and enforce the CMCO standard operating procedures.

A total of 3,713 supermarkets, 3,073 restaurants, 1,244 factories, 1,705 banks, 713 land transport terminals, 87 water and 111 public air transport terminals have been inspected, Ismail Sabri said. 

Besides this, he said the compliance task force, involving 16,414 personnel, have also inspected 22,741 private-owned vehicles and 1,426 public transport vehicles.

Ismail Sabri also said that until yesterday, the police and the Malaysian Communications and Multimedia Commission (MCMC) have opened 262 investigation papers on COVID-19-related fake news.

Of these, 179 cases are still under investigation while 29 individuals have been charged in court, 11 given warning notices and 18 more have pleaded guilty.

He said the Communications and Multimedia Ministry’s (KKMM) Quick Response Team (PRP), to date, has debunked and clarified 265 cases involving fake news.

“The public can pass on information to the PRP at 03-8911 5103 or by visiting the WWW.SEBENARNYA.MY page for news verification,” he said.

 Ismail Sabri said to date, 229 quarantine centres are operating compared to 245 the day before, with 14,843 individuals still undergoing the mandatory quarantine process, including 454 Malaysians who returned from abroad yesterday. 

Source: BERNAMA News Agency

Sarawak allows economic sectors to reopen from May 12 – Uggah

KUCHING The Sarawak Disaster Management Committee (JPBN) has decided to allow almost all economic sectors across the state to resume operations from May 12, said its chairman Datuk Amar Douglas Uggah Embas today.

Uggah, who is also Deputy Chief Minister, said the standard operating procedure (SOP) had been prepared and being notified to all parties involved on list of allowed and prohibited activities.

“Those who want to resume their economic activities have to inform their respective disaster management committee.

“The JPBN is confident that the new directive to reopen the economic sectors will provide relief to the people whose income have been adversely affected with the implementation of the Movement Control Order (MCO) since March 18,” he said at a COVID-19 daily press conference here today.

However, Uggah said the recent decision did not mean that the Sarawak government viewed the health aspect lightly but the move was implemented by taking into account economic aspects for the benefit of all.

“Enforcement authorities such as the local authorities, Royal Malaysia Police, Malaysian Civil Defence Force (APM) and the People’s Volunteer Corps (RELA) will carry out monitoring and enforcement to ensure SOP compliance and failure to comply will result in strict action to be taken against violators,” he said.

On matters that went viral on social media that all roadblocks in Sarawak had been lifted with immediate effect from yesterday and that the road trip across Sarawak did not require a permit from the police, Uggah said that was not true.

“For Sarawak, the movement between districts is still prohibited. The police are still establishing roadblocks across the district border and the public is still required to seek police permission for movement between districts,” he said.

Source: BERNAMA News Agency

Lorry driver held for verbally abusing traffic cop

KANGAR A lorry driver was arrested for hurling abusive words at a traffic policeman after being booked for beating the red light at the Jalan Kangar-Padang Besar junction near Kampung Salang yesterday.

Kangar District Police chief Supt Wari Kiew said the 37-year-old man from Bukit Mertajam, Penang committed the offence at about 12.20 pm.

“The driver even repeated the foul language two more times at the traffic policeman, who was just carrying out his duty,” he said when contacted today, adding that another traffic policeman on duty also heard the driver use the profane language.

He said the suspect drove off after being issued a summons for beating the red light and was later arrested at Kilometre 5, Jalan Kangar-Padang Besar before being taken to the Beseri Police Station for further investigation.

Wari said the suspect had been remanded for a day and the case would be investigated under Section 186 of the Penal Code for obstructing a civil servant from carrying out his duty and Section 14 of the Minor Offences Act 1955 for using abusive words.

Source: BERNAMA News Agency