Home / 2020 / February / 02

Daily Archives: February 2, 2020

Thailand to evacuate its citizens from Wuhan on Tuesday

BANGKOK, Thailand is set to evacuate its citizens stranded in Wuhan, the epicentre of the 2019 novel coronavirus (2019-nCoV) outbreak, on Tuesday.

Deputy Prime Minister and Public Health Minister Anutin Chanvirakul said eight medical officers including doctors, epidemiologist, psychiatrist and nurses would be onboard the AirAsia Thailand plane to monitor their health.

Upon their return, they will be examined and quarantined for 14 days before they allowed to return home, he told a media conference here today.

So far, 106 Thais in Wuhan and 161 in Hubei province have been identified with about 140 of them have registered to return to home.

Thailand’s Ministry of Foreign Affairs is coordinating with the Royal Thai Embassy in Beijing and Thai consulate in Wuhan to secure a passage home for its citizens wanting to return.

The Ministry of Public Health will be responsible for taking care of all officers’ health, both accompanying airport staff and Thais living in Wuhan with the highest international standards on screening, disease prevention and control to ensure the safety of all people after returning from China.

Anutin said all returning Thais would be screened to ensure they were symptom-free before boarding the plane for home.

At least three locations have been identified as a quarantine centre and Prime Minister General Prayuth Chan o-cha will decide on the final location, he said.

At present, there are 19 confirmed 2019 novel coronavirus cases in Thailand, including two locals with the first human-to-human transmission reported on Jan 31 where a taxi driver became the first patient to contract the infection inside the kingdom.

So far eight of the patients have recovered and discharged from hospitals with a statement from the Public Health Ministry saying from 3 Jan to 1 Feb the total number of patients under investigation (PUI) rose to 382 people.

It said most of the PUI were infected with seasonal influenza, and 311 PUI cases were admitted at hospitals.

Director of the Division of Communicable Diseases Dr Sopon Lamsirithaworn said there has been no report of new cases and one of the confirmed cases of novel coronavirus has recovered and discharged from hospital.

Source: BERNAMA News Agency

Coronavirus : dont panic and wear face masks

IPOH, People with no symptoms of the 2019 novel coronavirus (2019-nCoV) need not be afraid if they do not wear face masks in public places because the virus has so far been contained from spreading to the community.

However, Deputy Health Minister Dr Lee Boon Chye said, people with fever, cold and cough should wear the masks so as not to infect others.

If they do not have symptoms, they do not have to wear the masks for protection. It is not necessarily effective against infection.

To avoid infection, what is most important is to wash the hands often, using soap and detergent. If you do not wear masks properly and touch your face, then there is a risk of infection, he told reporters after attending the Chinese New Year celebration organised by the Perak Chinese Assembly Hall here today.

Dr Lee who is also Gopeng Member of Parliament was commenting on the views by certain parties that face masks should be worn to prevent infection of the 2019-nCoV.

Dr Lee said making the mask compulsory for the public would create panic, even possibly leading to calls to close down public places.

Do we need to cancel all assemblies, close down schools, cinemas, this will result in unwarranted panic,” he said.

To date, the number of cases found positive for 2019-nCoV remains at eight, with the number of patients under investigation for coronavirus infection at 183 while 18 others are still waiting for the results of laboratory tests.

Source: BERNAMA News Agency

Coronavirus positive cases remain eight individuals – Dr Wan Azizah

KUALA LUMPUR, There are no additional cases of positive coronavirus in the country with the cumulative number of cases remains at eight, said Deputy Prime Minister Datuk Seri Dr Wan Azizah Wan Ismail.

She said as of noon today, the cumulative number of the patient under investigation for coronavirus infection is at 183 people, and 18 individuals are still waiting for laboratory results.

Close contact with coronavirus positive cases remains at 32 people, she said in a statement today.

She said the Ministry of Health would continue to monitor the development of the coronavirus infection via information from the World Health Organisation (WHO).

The public would be kept updated on the latest development of the coronavirus infection.

The society is advised to contact infoline Crisis Preparedness and Response Centre (CPRC) MOH at 03-8881 0200 / 600 / 700 or email to cprc@moh.gov.my for any information on the 2019 nCoV infection.

Source: BERNAMA News Agency

Missing toddler in Putrajaya found safe

PUTRAJAYA, A 20-month old toddler who was reported missing from a unit of high-rise residential building in Precinct 15 here yesterday was found safe.

Putrajaya district police chief ACP Rosly Hassan said the boy was found by a rescue team on the 17th floor of the same building at 1.25 am, about seven hours after he was reported missing.

He said the boy’s father only realised that his child went missing at 6.12 pm when his eldest son contacted him asking if the youngest of six siblings was with him at the time.

During the incident, the 14-year-old brother was babysitting the toddler at their home on the fifth floor before he went down to throw the garbage at about 6 pm.

The baby was said to have followed his brother without his knowledge. The victim’s brother only realised he had lost his baby brother 12 minutes later before alerting his father, Rosly said when contacted here today.

He said the family, with help from the neighbours, tried to locate the toddler but failed and decided to lodge police report at 10.30 pm.

Rosly said police conducted the search operation at every level of the building including parking lot, staircase, vacant rooms, garbage bins and drains in the area.

He said the rescue team finally found the boy, alone and hungry, on the 17th floor of the building at 1.25 am.

The toddler was then taken to Putrajaya Hospital for examination, he said, adding that investigations found no criminal elements involved in the case.

Source: BERNAMA News Agency

Coronavirus: Mission to bring back Malaysians from Wuhan tomorrow

KUALA LUMPUR, A special flight will bring back 132 people comprising 108 Malaysians and 24 non-citizens who were their spouses and children from Wuhan, China tomorrow, following the spread of the novel coronavirus 2019 there.

Deputy Prime Minister Datuk Seri Dr Wan Azizah Wan Ismail said subject to the approval from the Chinese government, only those who have been certified healthy after undergoing an exit screening by the local authorities at the Wuhan Tianhe International Airport will be brought back.

The mission will comprise eight people, consisting of six officials from the Malaysian Ministry of Health, an officer from the National Disaster Management Agency (NADMA) and one from the Foreign Ministry, she said in a statement today.

She said an AirAsia plane with 12 crew will be used for this mission.

AirAsia has set the flight date for Feb 3, 2020, subject to approval from the Chinese government. The flight will also be taken essential supplies such as masks (nose and mouth), gloves, and food, in accordance with the list agreed by the Chinese authorities, she said.

Dr Wan Azizah said she had met with all the staff going on the mission, including the flight crew, to thank them on behalf of the government and the people of Malaysia, especially the families involved, for helping to bring back the Malaysians from Wuhan.

I also advised them to look after themselves and those they were bringing back, Wan Azizah who is also chairman of the Central Disaster Management Committee, said.

She said NADMA director-general Datuk Mohtar Mohd Abd Rahman had given her, Health Minister Datuk Seri Dr Dzulkefly Ahmad and Health director-general Datuk Dr Noor Hisham Abdullah, a briefing on the humanitarian mission to bring back the Malaysians from China.

She also visited the Air Disaster Center (ADU), where all the passengers, members of the mission, and crew will undergo health screening when they return to KLIA.

She said those found with symptoms (of the virus) will be sent to hospital while those who clear the screening will go to the monitoring centre.

I found that adequate preparations and medical provisions have been provided for the health screenings.

I have also been to the monitoring centre to look at the operations room, accommodations and other facilities for all 158 passengers including the eight members of the Malaysian mission, 12 flight crew and six officials from the Malaysian Embassy in Beijing to undergo observation for 14 days, she said.

Dr Wan Azizah added that she was satisfied with the workflow and preparations for the mission.

Let us Malaysians pray that this mission goes smoothly and all those brought back from Wuhan and members of the mission and crew are safe, she said.

Source: BERNAMA News Agency

238 Indonesians quarantined after arriving from Wuhan

JAKARTA, Indonesia today evacuated 238 of its citizens from Hubei, China, and placed them under quarantine for 14 days at the Natuna Island.

The Batik Air commercial aircraft carrying them from Wuhan landed at the Hang Nadim Airport, Batam Island, about 8.45 am West Indonesian time.

According to local media, all of them were flown by three military aircrafts to Natuna Island, Riau Islands province, located in the South China Sea.

They are placed at the Indonesian military base on the island, which is reported to be fully equipped, and will undergo a 14-day health inspection and monitoring before being allowed to return to their families.

There has been no cases of new coronavirus reported in Indonesia.

All of them are reported to be healthy and free from infection. The Chinese government has also determined that only healthy people are allowed out of the affected areas, said Indonesian Health Minister Terawan Agus Putranto.

Last Thursday, President Joko Widodo ordered Indonesians in Wuhan, Hubei to return to the republic, in the wake of the the 2019 Novel Coronavirus outbreak.

Source: BERNAMA News Agency

Coronavirus: China fatalities continue to rise

KUALA LUMPUR, The total number of deaths in China from the novel coronavirus has increased to over 300 after 45 new deaths were reported in Hubei Province, the epicentre of the outbreak, Saturday.

The Chinese Embassy in Malaysia in its Facebook posting said according to China’s National Health Commission, as of midnight (24:00hrs) Feb 1, 304 total fatalities were reported while 328 people had been discharged from hospital after recovery (85 of them on Saturday).

Meanwhile, also on Saturday, 2,590 newly-confirmed cases were recorded (1,921 in Hubei Province), bringing the total number of confirmed cases in the country to 14,380.

There are also 19,544 suspected cases so far, with 4,562 new suspected cases recorded on Saturday.

At present, 163,844 close contacts have been tracked, 8,044 people were released from medical observation on the same day, (and) 137,594 people are currently receiving medical observation, it said.

Source: BERNAMA News Agency