Home / 2019 / June / 23

Daily Archives: June 23, 2019

Jealous senior citizen attacks girlfriend, son with knife

GEORGE TOWN, A woman and her son were seriously injured after they were attacked with a knife by a man during a quarrel at the victims’ house in Bandar Baru Air Itam, here early this morning.

North East district police chief, ACP Che Zaimani Che Awang said that in the incident at 2.45 am, the 61-year-old man had quarreled with the woman, 55, who was his girlfriend, due to jealousy.

”The man was said to have waited at the woman’s house for about an hour before she arrived home and a quarrel ensued between them.

”The angry suspect resorted to using a knife to hack at the woman’s neck,” he said in a statement here today.

He said the woman’s 21-year-old son who saw the incident tried to defend his mother but was also slashed on the neck.

Che Zaimani said that the woman’s brother, who also stayed at the house, contacted the police over the incident, who rushed to the scene.

He said preliminary investigation revealed that the senior citizen had accused his girlfriend of having another lover and they quarrelled.

”The man stayed in the victim’s house after they became lovers but were not married,” he said.

He said that the suspect was also injured on the head, body and stomach during the fight with the victims.

All the injured were sent to the Penang Hospital (PH) and were reported to be stable.

”Police have detained the senior citizen, but he is still being treated at PH. Police will record the statements of all three to help in investigation under Section 326 of the Penal Code,” Che Zaimani said.

Source: BERNAMA (News Agency)

Health Department nab senior citizen selling smuggled liquor

BUKIT MERTAJAM, A man was detained for selling various types of smuggled liquors in front of trading premises in Taman Nagasari, Perai in Operation Methanol yesterday.

State Health Department Environmental Health, Food Safety and Quality officer Mohd Wazir Khalid said that the 69-year-old man was detained at 7 pm yesterday in front of the trading premises which were not operational.

”We conducted intelligence work and spied on the location since two weeks after receiving several reports on incidents of six men including two locals who died after alcohol poisoning due to methanol.

”We managed to detain a senior citizen, a former security guard, in from of the premises which were not operational. He only had a table to sell liquors cheaply,” he said here today.

According to Mohd Wazir, an inspection found that the liquors were believed to be smuggled because they did not have permits from the Royal Malaysian Customs Department and further investigation was still going on.

Mohd Wazir said that the man sold the liquors at the location from 6.30 pm to 7 pm since four months ago.

He said that most of his clients were foreigners because the liquors were sold at 50 per cent less than the market prices and some were even sold at RM5 a bottle.

”Further investigation is still being carried out including finding out where the man got his supply of liquors. The man also admitted that selling the liquors is against the law because they are smuggled,” he said.

Mohd Wazir said three samples of the liquors had been sent for tests to determine if they contained methanol.

In Operation Methanol yesterday, the department inspected 15 premises selling smuggled liquors and also seized 77 tins and 14 bottles of various types of liquors worth RM890.

Five notices worth RM12,000 were also issued in the operation.

Source: BERNAMA (News Agency)

Housing Ministry asks for land from Sarawak govt to build affordable houses

SIBU, The Housing and Local Government Ministry (KPKT) calls on the Sarawak government to allocate suitable land to the ministry to build more affordable houses in the state.

Minister, Zuraida Kamaruddin said so far there was no formal grant of land from the state government to the ministry although the ministry’s officers had identified several suitable sites.

We have a little problem actually as the state government has not given any land to the ministry to build affordable houses. All other states have given over identified land for us to develop but this is a problem we face with Sarawak.

I hope the state’s executive councillor in charge of housing, as well as Chief Minister (Datuk Patinggi Abang Johari Tun Openg) will respond to us so that we can help build affordable houses for the people in Sarawak, she told a media conference during her visit to the Sungai Merah Fire and Rescue Station today.

In another development, Zuraida also said that locations for the building of E Category fire stations were being identified with construction slated to begin next year.

She also said that her ministry would give priority for machine allocation to fire stations in Sabah and Sarawak especially in the remote areas.

Meanwhile, according to Sarawak JBPM director Khirudin Drahman, out of the 50 fire stations needed in Sarawak, 14 were Category E stations where a few full-time firemen and auxiliary firemen would be stationed.

This is a win-win move we had to take as the government had limited the recruitment of new officers. We understand the economic situation so we have to be creative in ensuring that we have an adequate number of firemen in Sarawak, he said.

He said so far there were 32 fire stations in operations in the state with four new ones still under construction and expected to be ready by the end of the year.

After visiting the station, Zuraida visited the family of Mohd Sapee Julaihi, 55, a fireman who died in a snake-catching operation in Taman Permai last Friday.

Mohd Sapee, a divorcee left behind four children aged between eight and 18, complained of chest pain and difficulty in breathing after the 4 am operation.

He was rushed to the hospital for treatment but was confirmed dead at 7.57 am.

Source: BERNAMA (News Agency)

Fishing vessel disposed off Kudat for use as artificial reef

KUDAT, A fishing vessel which was seized by the Malaysian Maritime Enforcement Agency (MMEA) was disposed of today to be used as artificial reef in the waters of Kampung Tajau Laut, near here.

Sabah Agriculture and Food Industries Minister Datuk Junz Wong said this is the first time the Sabah government had disposed of such a vessel, because previously boats seized for violating laws would be auctioned.

“The discarded vessel is a foreign fishing boat that was previously held following an offence under Section 34 of the Fisheries Act 1985 and the Kota Kinabalu Court had ordered the boat to be forfeited,” he told reporters after the submerging of the vessel.

He said the disposal of the vessel showed the Sabah government’s seriousness in addressing encroachment issues especially when it involved exploitation of Sabah’s marine resources.

“As such this is warning to foreign fishermen who are encroaching and stealing marine resources in Sabah waters and I hope the destruction of this vessel will serve as a lesson to those involved.

“The sunken vessel will be turned into an artificial reef for the benefit of the fishing communities in Kampung Tajau Laut and its surrounding areas,” he said.

Deploying artificial reefs would enhance catches and income of artisanal fishermen because the reefs could enhance rehabilitation of fishery resources and improve marine habitat while preventing intrusion of trawlers into the coastal areas, he said.

He added that two more vessels which have been seized by the MMEA would be disposed of in a similar manner in Tuaran.

Source: BERNAMA (News Agency)

Cops arrest two of Terengganu’s biggest drug dealers

KUALA TERENGGANU, Two men, believed to be among Terengganu’s biggest drug dealers, were arrested in separate police raids here, with drugs worth almost RM100,000 seized.

Terengganu police chief Datuk Aidi Ismail said the first arrest involved a 25-year-old sundry shop assistant, who was nabbed in a house garage in Jalan Kubang Buyong, at noon on June 19.

The next day, police arrested an unemployed man, aged 22, opposite an eatery in Kampung Titian Batu at about 1am.

Aidi said from the second arrest, police seized a kilogramme of syabu, 400 grammes of ‘pil kuda’ (amphetamines) and 1.5 litres of codeine, adding that seizure was the largest in the state so far this year.

Early investigations reveal that both cases are linked to each other and we believe these two arrests will lead to more (arrests) in the state, he told a media conference at the state police contingent headquarters here, today.

Aidi said the first suspect tested negative for drug use, and had no previous criminal record, but the second tested positive for methamphetamine and was involved in two drug cases before this.

Both suspects are being investigated under Section 39B of the Dangerous Drugs Act 1952.

Source: BERNAMA (News Agency)

Queen closes Melaka Culinary Challenge 2019

MELAKA, The Raja Permaisuri Agong, Tunku Azizah Aminah Maimunah Iskandariah today closed the Melaka Culinary Challenge 2019 held for three days in Bachang here.

The competition, participated by 501 local and international chefs from Thailand, Egypt, India, Indonesia and Singapore, was judged by 37 professional judges and 10 trainee judges from countries such as Germany, Singapore, India and Denmark.

It was divided into 27 categories including Hot Pasta Challenge, Traditional ‘Asam Pedas’, Ice Carving, Burger Champion and King of Teh Tarik.

In her speech, Tunku Azizah shared her experience of cooking asam pedas which is synonymous with the people of Melaka and participating in cooking competition.

Her Majesty, who is also Melaka Chef Club patron, said in November last year, when she participated in a competition in Melaka, she had prepared three asam pedas dishes namely ‘gulai ayam daun kesum’, ‘gulai nenas udang’ and ‘singgang asam ikan’.

“A competition like this is often held in Pahang and all over the country. Many chefs here today are my friends.

“We compete with each other, Chef Rizwandy Perin and other chefs know that when there’s a cooking competition between chefs, (even though) I’m not a chef, I’ll be busy in the kitchen,” said Tunku Azizah.

Present at the event was Tunku Azizah’s daughter, Tengku Puteri Jihan Azizah ‘Athiyatullah.

Toh Puan Zurina Kassim, wife of Melaka Yang Dipertua Negeri; Dalilah Awaludin, wife of Melaka Chief Minister and state executive councillors also attended the event.

Source: BERNAMA (News Agency)

Hostel to be built to address absenteeism among Orang Asli pupils

KUALA TERENGGANU, A hostel will be built at Sekolah Kebangsaan Sungai Berua in Hulu Terengganu to overcome the problem of absenteeism among Orang Asli pupils.

Terengganu Education Department (JPNT) director Shafruddin Ali Hussin said an allocation of RM800,000 for the construction cost was fully funded by the Terengganu Islamic Religious and Malay Customs Council (Maidam).

It can accommodate 100 pupils at one time and our goal is to place Year Five and Year Six pupils at the hostel to familiarise them with the mainstream education system.

“The site of the hostel has been identified near the school field. At the moment, we are still waiting for approval from the Education Policy Planning and Research Division, Ministry of Education to continue the construction of the hostel, he told reporters at the Adilfitri celebrations organised by the Terengganu Education Department here, today.

He was commenting on the drop in attendance of the Orang Asli pupils which was increasingly noticeable over the last two weeks as they followed their parents into the forest amid fears of the spread of measles which started from Kuala Koh, Gua Musang in Kelantan.

Shafruddin said, normally the attendance level of pupils at the school reached 70 per cent of the total 104 pupils but had fallen drastically to 15 per cent since the disease had spread among the Orang Asli communities.

The school management went down to the ground to persuade the pupils to come to school and Tok Batin also helped us in this process. As a result, the attendance increased to 19 pupils last Thursday compared to just 13 pupils before.

At the same time, we are also working closely with the Terengganu Health Department to monitor the health of pupils present, including having health screening and talks on personal hygiene as well as cleanliness of the surrounding areas, he said.

The department also would not take disciplinary action on students who have been absent instead take prudent approaches such as counselling to raise their awareness, he said.

Source: BERNAMA (News Agency)