Home / Business & Finance / ’80 pct Of Yayasan Sarawak Annual Budget For Education’

’80 pct Of Yayasan Sarawak Annual Budget For Education’

KUCHING: Yayasan Sarawak allocates around 80 per cent of its annual budget for education while the remaining 20 per cent goes towards the operation of the foundation.

This was disclosed by its director Azmi Bujang, who said Yayasan Sarawak estimated around RM60 million to RM70 million of its annual budget will be allocated either for study loans or scholarships.

Yayasan Sarawak provides study loans or scholarships to assist deserving students in pursuing their tertiary or technical education at public or private universities, he told reporters when met at Yayasan Sarawak’s Ramah Tamah Aidilfitri celebration at Wisma Adenan here yesterday.

He pointed out that the quantum of loan depended on factors such as the level of studies, fees charged by the university and other incidentals.

Hence the total quantum of loan can be between RM20,000 and RM40,000, he said, adding that the loans are usually given to deserving students who do not receive any assistance from other organisations.

On the repayment of loans, Azmi said thus far, the record for repayment has been satisfactory.

We are very fortunate that students and parents who have already obtained loans from Yayasan Sarawak have been very active and understanding in repaying their loans.

He also noted that Yayasan Sarawak provided a lot of incentives for students such as discounts of up to 75 per cent on their study loans.

Should they obtain first class honours, we will be giving discounts up to 75 per cent, while those who achieve second class upper and lower will receive up to 50 per cent discount.

If they pay (the loan) consistently, they will also be given 25 per cent discount, he disclosed.

This, he said, was among the initiatives given to students to encourage them to pay back to Yayasan Sarawak.

There’s no delay on our part (in disbursing the fund for study loan) so they should do likewise. We have done our part in fulfilling our contract and once they graduate, they should come back and repay the loans.

At the Ramah Tamah Aidilfitri celebration, guests-of-honour Chief Minister Datuk Amar Abang Johari Tun Openg and his wife Datin Amar Dato Juma’ani Tuanku Bujang were on hand to distribute ‘duit raya’ to 78 students from Taska Yayasan Ku Sayang and Yayasan Kemajuan Islam Negeri (Yakin).

Also present were Deputy Chief Ministers Datuk Amar Douglas Uggah Embas, Tan Sri Datuk Amar Dr James Jemut Masing, and Datuk Amar Awang Tengah Ali Hasan; Second Finance Minister Dato Sri Wong Soon Koh; Education, Science and Technological Research Minister Dato Sri Michael Manyin Jawong; Local Government and Housing Minister Datuk Dr Sim Kui Hian and State Legislative Assembly (DUN) Deputy Speaker Datuk Gerawat Gala.

Source: Borneo Post Online

Check Also

RedHill Biopharma Announces Last Patient Visit in BEKINDA® Phase II Study for IBS-D

Top-line results are expected in September 2017 The randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled Phase II study is evaluating the safety and efficacy of BEKINDA® (RHB-102) 12 mg in 127 U.S. patients with diarrhea-predominant irritable bowel syndrome (IBS-D), with a primary endpoint of response in stool consistency as compared to baseline IBS is one of the most common […]